Clean up from vinyl

Vinyl restoration or enhancement is best done with tools that address the task. Thongs like Waverepair are written to do it.
You can do a squillion things with a track in CB if you want to.

Ah I should have said, I had two vinyl albums transferred to CD by a local studio and I think they could be improved, not remixed, by a little compression or normalising, that sort of thing, the tracks are generally a little on the quiet side, thanks.

Ah I should have said, I had two vinyl albums transferred to CD by a local studio and I think they could be improved, not remixed, by a little compression or normalising, that sort of thing, the tracks are generally a little on the quiet side, thanks.

I just read, can't remember either, they were writing about why the bass is so low on vinyl. Had something to do with grooves, cutting head and vibration. When everyone moved to digital (CDs in the beginning), bass/highs could come up as the other areas were no longer a concern, just 0 dB had to be more closely monitored due to digital clipping.

That is one reason why your vinyl is lower.

If the vinyl was transferred using a proper turntable & turntable preamp then there should be no apparent loss of anything.
The EQing done for vinyl mastering is, to some degree, reversed during playback.
It's part of the reason why there are specific phono ins on a decent amp.
The lack of volume can be addressed with normalization in the 1st instance as this will raise ALL of the signal by the same amount (how much depends on the loudest part of the music).
Compression to increase the level will squish some of the dynamics that vinyl preserved rather well so if you attempt that be careful and remember that what sound fab in the moments after your done it may cause listening fatigue when you have time to listen fully.
If there're no issues with click, pops & surface noise just bung it in a DAW & normalize. If there are other issues consider purchasing waverepair or similar (it was $30 when I bought it) to repair the track to some degree.

Back