Classic Snare

So is it fair to assume that they used Condensors on the snares in those days to capture that crispy sound?

I don't think the sounds you hear on a record are due to just the mics. They do a lot of stuff to that snare after it's recorded. I doubt the snare sounded exactly like that when it was being recorded.
I don't want to pick on you two guys but this seems to be a common home recording problem. The task at hand is to record a snare sound similar to 70's rock.

We have so much gear at our disposal that we over think everything before even considering the really obvious answer. Switch out mics? I dunno. Maybe it'll color it this way or that. Hit it with processing gobbledy-gook after the fact? I dunno. Maybe that will also color it somehow.

How 'bout just use a big heavy beefy low-tuned snare drum similar to the ones they recorded back then? If you want to record a drum that sounds like a 70's snare, record a 70's snare.

I don't want to pick on you two guys but this seems to be a common home recording problem. The task at hand is to record a snare sound similar to 70's rock.

We have so much gear at our disposal that we over think everything before even considering the really obvious answer. Switch out mics? I dunno. Maybe it'll color it this way or that. Hit it with processing gobbledy-gook after the fact? I dunno. Maybe that will also color it somehow.

How 'bout just use a big heavy beefy low-tuned snare drum similar to the ones they recorded back then? If you want to record a drum that sounds like a 70's snare, record a 70's snare.

True, but i'm not suggesting doing lots of processing. All i'm saying is the snare probably didn't sound exactly like that.

I use a Sennheiser e609 on my snare and I just down tune it and I get pretty much the exact same sound without needing to worry about a paper disc. That is a pretty awesome trick though and he has an awesome overall sound on that kit. Another peice to the puzzle is the size of your snare. I am using a 14x7 yamaha oak custom and naturally it is a lot more deep than say a 14x5.5 metal snare. I like the e609 for recording though becasue it's shape makes it easy to place over the drum and it catches a solid mid and high signal without sounding harsh.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but some of Ringo's really awesome dampened drum sounds resulted from placing towels over the drum surfaces. Really thumpy, thick sounds. Great stuff.

Back