Class A amp for recording?

giggsy

I have two Marshall stacks in the studio. JCM800 top+cabinet and a JMP50 + 1960 lead cabinet.

I wanna swap them for a really good smaller tube amp that is versatile enough to handle both a clean signal and also give me a good tube distorsion. We´re talking class A.

And I´m hoping to get some money left over for a mic in the deal...

Any suggestions?

giggsy

True class A guitar amps can be a little moody. Thats an understatement. You're better off stick with a class A/B amp, similar to what you have.
Are you just looking for a combo and plan to sell both? If so, and you only need it for recording, check out the Single Rectifier Combo. Or, since those 2 will bring a decent amount of money, check out the New Mesa Rectifier Roadking in a combo, or even a Mark IV combo. I think Egnater makes a combo that is smoking. I know the head smokes, really thick sounding. The MEsa stuff has a thinner distortion sound, but its very rich at the same time. Hard to explain, but with heavy music, it sits in a mix like sugar.
I'm mainly a mesa guy, although I'd like to have something different for another clean sound.

moody?

Never having dealt with class A before I wasn´t aware of their moodswings. Could you explain a bit? Do they vary from day to day or from amp to amp?

I am gonna sell both stacks and I´m looking for a combo to use strictly in the studio.

How about the ADA Rocket 20? Do you have any idea where I can get hold of one? I´ve been looking all over.

Thanks for the tip, I´ll check ´em out.

giggsy

I figure with the money 2 stacks will bring in, you should at least get something very nice. I will not recommend an ADA whatsoever. If you're gonna get a combo that you will be happy with, it will have to be as good or better than what you have now.
Class A tube amps have a tendency to burn out tubes fast and have a lot of maintenance issues sometimes. They run pretty hot, too, from what I understand. I think the Mesa blue angel is a class A. MOst tube amps are class a/b I believe.
I say for combos... a very carefully selected Marshall Triple super lead, a Mesa Mark IV or Road King (the Mark IV is amazingly versatile, and it looks like the Road King is more so, (plus they have dual 12 inch Vintage 30's in them, so they still crank enough to play live gigs, unmic'ed if necc.), or look into some high end Boutique type of amps like the Egnater. For me, it would be the Mark IV or Road King, probably the Road King. If you don;t need quite that much crunch, ever, maybe check out a Vox AC-30 with bulldogs or something. Go check out a Mark IV and sit with it for a few hours twiddling. Considering the ease of use of most amps, this one will be confusing, and may take some time to figure out... but once you do....
Peace.

tubedude, you must be the man when it comes to amps...very impresssive...tell us why a Fender Twin, carefully adjsuted, would not be a good choice....thanks.

It very well may be a good choice. I've never had one, but I have played on one, and didnt like the one I played on. Could have been variables, but its just not something I've ever been interested in, at all, for whatever reasons I cant even remember. It comes down to having an amp the kills on the dirty sound, for me. The Fender didn't have what it needed to make me happy, add I'm a picky character. YMMV, of course. :)

tubedude said:
Class A tube amps have a tendency to burn out tubes fast and have a lot of maintenance issues sometimes. They run pretty hot, too, from what I understand. I think the Mesa blue angel is a class A. MOst tube amps are class a/b I believe.
\

Generally, class A/B refers to the Power stage. The preamps are mostly class A.

Yes, the output stage of a Class A does run hotter because the output power tube(s) are always biased on, unlike a class A/B where each tube is biased off half the time.

but, you're not going to get that Class A sound with a Class A/B amp. also, Class A power stages deliver less power.

if you really want that Class A sound, go for. just know what you're getting.

-kp-

I dont have a lot of time to explain this, but check out the specs on the now-discontinued Fender Prosonic. I bought one of the last ones made, and am very happy I did. Try one out, it may be the ticket here.

H2H

Many old line studios kept Deluxes,ac 30s etc. for this very purpose.
Generalities are usually worth what you pay for them (zip), but lots of folks seem to like Fender clean tones and Marshall distortion tones.If you are happy with the Marshall sound you already have it might be simpler to keep one and pick up a small tube amp exclusively for the clean tones.
The amp I gig with started life as a 100 watt Twin.A "mad scientist" buddy rebuilt it for me with channel 1 the 58 Bassman circuit and the second channel as the 69 Plexi circuit.I think I put about $500-600 into its construction.He also rebuilt my 59 Gibson GA6 into the Deluxe circuit.So consider that avenue as well.

Tom

Thanks guys!

H2H,
I´ve never played thru a Prosonic but they have one in a store in town so I will check it out. Do you have the top or the combo?

Tom and ToyL,
I actually own a Fender Twin 135W that I use for clean tones and it sounds fantastic. It´s just that I wanna be able to have a bigger variety of distorted sounds than I can get thru my Marshalls. I am however thinking about keeping the JCM800 top.

And I´m not sure I have any "mad scientist friends" I would allow to rebuild anything for me...

giggsy

Back