Citadel At The Edge of Space - Piano/synth piece

keygasim!

Mn you really need real drum and guitar in that. There are only so many keyboard notes one can take. I like the concept but I would put down the word clock.

You have a VirusB I presume?

keygasim!

Mn you really need real drum and guitar in that. There are only so many keyboard notes one can take. I like the concept but I would put down the word clock.

You have a VirusB I presume?

Hello, well nope, no Virus B here. I play the parts on my trusty Roland keyboard, straight into the PC, sounds are handled by various soft synths.

As you can see on my YouTube channel, nearly all of my music is guitar driven, I wanted to do something different here, specifically with zero guitars, but layered and complex and a bit retro-rockish nonetheless.

I did not go digging to hear the other stuff you have recorded I just checked the link. IMO I wanted to hear real drums and guitar. I wasn't saying that in a mean wa it was just what I felt when I listened.

It's nice. My nit would be that a drummer would never play like that to this kind of tune. That's a lot of bass drums in each bar. Way too busy, in my opinion.
And you might want to vary the velocities. Everything hits at the same volume and sounds very robotic.

I'm only talking about the drums. Everything esle sounds nicely arranged to me.

It's nice. My nit would be that a drummer would never play like that to this kind of tune. That's a lot of bass drums in each bar. Way too busy, in my opinion.
And you might want to vary the velocities. Everything hits at the same volume and sounds very robotic.

I'm only talking about the drums. Everything esle sounds nicely arranged to me.

I arranged it to be a bit "different" than what is standard for this style, I agree. I wanted a heavy rock drum sound. The velocity varies quite a bit, just the use of compression and such probably makes that less apparent. Anyway from the beginning I planned all along to make a more "classical" sounding version as well, which strips out a lot of the synths and focuses on piano, bass and a bit subtler orchestration. The drums in this version are of course much lighter. So I will post that one when it's complete.

Cool song.

Some of the synths had and old 80s video game feel to them (specifically the "brass" parts) that felt a little out of place.

Overall, I liked it. Replacing some of the keys with a sweet metal guitar would be really cool!

I really liked it as is..very cinematic...it would work with some guitar but works without it too :)

I really liked it as is..very cinematic...it would work with some guitar but works without it too :)
Cool! Thanks.

Yeah I realize it could work with guitar, but at the same time I think people are too used to guitar and this standard instrument formula.

Back