Christina Aguilera "Beautiful" Vocals

Mercuri

Ok who else here thinks that the sound the producers got for her vocals on this tune is kinda kool?? What is that, anyways? It sounds like a funky ultra-short reverb and LA2A limiting or something. It's sounds unbelievably dry but it's not. Just wanted to know what others thought about it!! :D The sound caught my attention.

Dry? Well, I know what you're getting at but it is by no means dry. It has a fair amount of reverb which is very obvious, especially in the first few phrases. And I don't like it I must say.

But I do wonder myself how they got that sound. I don't know much about mixing and I'm willing to learn from anyone with some educated guesses.

They get that sound because she has an awesome voice. I don't care for all the marketing around her, but Christina stands out from the batch of auto tuned dancers that she came up with. She's got great pipes and you won't be able to replicate it unless you find someone that good. I could use a 58 and a Mackie pre and it would sound really great.

H2H

Hard2Hear said:
...she has an awesome voice. I don't care for all the marketing around her, but Christina stands out from the batch of auto tuned dancers that she came up with.

I totally agree with that.
But I don't think you'd could get THAT sound with the SM58/Mackie combo. :)

I dont know what you guys are hearing or maybe I got a weird version, no really noticeable fx on there except the Antares Autotune and regular orl reverbs eq's etc...

you guys ever wondered what kind of pen F. Scott Fitzgeral used to write "The Great Gatsby"........

Heyyyyyyy.... one star?? :eek: :rolleyes:

I know the vocalist has a lot to do with it - Christina in my eyes is by far one of the most unbelievable singers I've heard on the radio.

Listen to "Beautiful" in a nice set of hifi headphones. (Not monitoring/mixing phones). Then compare that mix to something like "What A Girl Wants". The sound of her voice in the first one is wayyyyy different. I know she's using a different style, but the recording is different from what you usually hear. It has a slight analog distortion, a few reverbs used with incredible taste, and a chorus or something that makes it sound wide.

I have to admit, of all the current crop of girl and boy singers, she is far and way the best. But, since it is not my style of music I prefer to watch her with the sound off. She is phenominal...oh yeah she does sing good too!!! Did you see that Rolling Stone cover with her on it and she is just barely covered by the guitar??? I am aching just thinking about it!!!

Not to start a Christina Aguilera argument, but i really don't understand your enthusiasm with Aguilera's voice. To me it sounds "forced". She also has the very annoying tendency to sing all over the place just to show her abilities. That 's what I would call "vocal exhibitionism". She, of course, has a powerful voice, but I wouldn't label her as a great singer. She doesn't even come close to Whitney Houston, for example.

Almiro said:
She also has the very annoying tendency to sing all over the place just to show her abilities. That 's what I would call "vocal exhibitionism".
Good point. That's the very reason I hate Mariah Carey songs.
I remember one time hearing Mariah Carey on a car radio. The (totally insignificant) musical backing was drowned by car noise and all I heard was Mariah doing vocal exercizes.

..I told her to find new Producer. She deffinitelly needs better producer. She's great, not comparable with the bitch Britney. Why should she obsessed with Britney anyway ? Follow Whitney, don't have to show your belly to be great...

ps. And her fashion sucks...

kartikbala said:
There's only one answer to the vocals here...and it's her amazing voice...no one can argue with that!

Cheers!
yes someone can argue that!i for one think she sucks!not to bad on the eyes though.

It's unarguable that she has a great instrument. She's also still really young, and taste is something that often comes with maturity.

No question that artists with the most chops aren't always the most musical. The same criticsms could be levelled at Barbra Streisand from time to time. (Another world class instrument that wasn't always "produced" in the most musical fashion). If you can sing or play longer higher louder faster etc. than anyone else, it sometimes actually gets in the way of musical growth because it's too tempting to rely on pure technique to try and blow everyone away. We've all met musicians who can play a million notes in a measure but would have trouble playing anything meaningful or interesting if limited to quarter notes.

Sometimes it's a fine line between virtuoso showing off and brilliant performing. You can find people arguing both sides of that coin about artists like Patti LaBelle, for instance...

The other aspect to originality is finding your own style, which again sometimes comes only with maturity. Too many young singers out there merely recycling Chaka Khan and Aretha licks.

sorry to cheese up your thread here... but I find difficulty reading "Christina Ugliera" and "Beautiful" in the same sentence :)

As you were :)

(and no... I didn't rate the thread)

littledog said:
It's unarguable that she has a great instrument. She's also still really young, and taste is something that often comes with maturity.

No question that artists with the most chops aren't always the most musical. The same criticsms could be levelled at Barbra Streisand from time to time. (Another world class instrument that wasn't always "produced" in the most musical fashion). If you can sing or play longer higher louder faster etc. than anyone else, it sometimes actually gets in the way of musical growth because it's too tempting to rely on pure technique to try and blow everyone away. We've all met musicians who can play a million notes in a measure but would have trouble playing anything meaningful or interesting if limited to quarter notes.

Sometimes it's a fine line between virtuoso showing off and brilliant performing. You can find people arguing both sides of that coin about artists like Patti LaBelle, for instance...
there is

The other aspect to originality is finding your own style, which again sometimes comes only with maturity. Too many young singers out there merely recycling Chaka Khan and Aretha licks.
i think not enough females have really paid attention to the likes of aretha.i am far more interested in the recording techs involved in chain of fools than i am anything happening today.
recording techs aside,white chix cant sing,and there-in lies the problem.
christine aguwhatshername aint worthy of whiping arethas feet,much less being compared to her!

sheppard said:
i think not enough females have really paid attention to the likes of aretha.i am far more interested in the recording techs involved in chain of fools than i am anything happening today.
recording techs aside,white chix cant sing,and there-in lies the problem.
christine aguwhatshername aint worthy of whiping arethas feet,much less being compared to her!

if ANYTHING i wrote gave anyone the idea that i was comparing Christina Aguilera to Aretha i am horrified. please reread my original post if that was your impression. if you still think that was what i said, please mail me a gun. i'll shoot myself...

Back