Choral Recording for CD

ZPphreak

Ok guys, I'm aware that this time I'm going under the gun..

Here's what I have for the Clinic:
I recorded a Korean Children's Choir at a Church for a CD that the director wanted to make. The songs were mixed with the input of the director. He preferred a rather high level of reverb... not exactly my taste... but Hey, he's the one who's shellin out the cash... and it kinda helped a little to balance out his rather small choir.
I'm pretty hyped about this CD release and these are 3 finished songs for the CD.

Any comments on any of the three songs OR ALL 3 would be Awesome! I'm looking for mixing tips/comments mostly. Unfortunately the mic placement wasn't very easy to work with because of the stage setup etc.. so a little more piano got into the Choir mics than I would have liked. My goal here is to make an onsite recording that rivals/equals most produced choral recordings. I understand that I, of course do not have the talented choirs required for this undertaking and I realize that FX and editing should be out of the picture anywhoo.. but what the hell..they needed it... so Whatcha think!?

I'll post equipment/setup info upon request of course.

Thanks everyone!

-Brent

dead link

new link commin

Last edited:
I listened to 'child's credo' and it was excellent.. I'm trying to get these types of sounds out of a keyboard, but it's not even close when I listen to something like this..

I'm hearing some noise/hiss..

'fisherman' was even better.. I didnt hear as much noise/hiss..

'Praise To The Lord' - all of these were great to listen to..

I have no suggestions for this type of stuff, but FWIW, I enjoyed all three of them..

May I borrow your choir for a Metal project? :eek:

Hey this was neat:

Child's Credo-I could do some creepy things with this song.Almost like a Dario Argento soundtrack...sorry that's evil of me(hehehe)

Fisherman for man-Dig the title for this one but it didn't do much for me.It gives me a good idea for a song though so thanx.The reording is decent,but it sounds like the recording level wasn't high enough and when it was turned up in the mix,your hissing a bit.I'm pretty sure software is available to correct that.

Praise to the Lord-Only one thing,some of the high notes were not exactly in key,maybe alittle flat but still grand.:D

Good luck with the CD!!!

Thanks for the replies guys!

...guess I forgot to mention that the choir wasn't really doing a great job that day. the kids were really young and didn't pay much attention to thr director. They made noise and caused me to have an 8 hour session. the hiss is most likely because the mics are the ECM 8000's... I'm thinking about going for the SP C4's when they become available for recording things like this. I really need a better sound.. But I felt that the ECM's stood up to the challenge sonically.

P.S. I use SONAR for mixing and a VS-880VXpanded for tracking.

-Brent

New Link:
http://www.thesaltines.com/hope.htm

Last edited:
i think i liked the original mixes you let me hear a bit better....

but i know that wasn't your decision at all.

good job man, must be nice to have a paying gig on any level.

thanks Wes. yes, the overusage of the Verb was not my decision at all.. but you have to agree.. it sure covers up those damn kids that stick out!... lol

BTW.. the nowhere site is givin me grief at the moment.. I'll have it back up shortly..

-Brent

I'm sorry Waldo. I'm getting the songs fixed up on my FTP now and I'll have a link up from there ASAP.. It's just a pain in the ass to create a new page on my website for me.. I'll make sure not to add any more accounts.. sorry for the trouble.

that's taken care of... sorry all who have had to deal with my problem..
the new site will be up shortly for those who wish to listen.

-Brent

Back