Choosing the right digital recording software?

invisiblemute

I'm a newbie to serious digital recording but I've been a hobbyist for ages. Used to make music with only the Kurzweil K2000 onboard sequencer. But for some time now I've been trying to do research on taking the next big step. With all the packages available and the rapidly changing software market it can be a full time job just keeping on top of most of this stuff.

I DJing and do a lot of synth noodling so I need something with strong, stable and flexible MIDI implementation. And I like using plugins and loads of effects. Was told that Logic would be the way for me to go. I tried it but found it very counter intuitive. And on top of that Apple bought them out so as a PC user it made the decision fairly simple. But now back to square one.

Seems to me that Cubase and Sonor and the big PC contenders for home(w)rec(k)ers. Am I wrong? I've spent a lot of time on this board and haven't found any real leads. Got some great info on what mics to buy that come with training wheels ;)

I'm really not sure about most programs, because I've only used pro tools and n-track, but your best bet would be to download demos of both and see which one you like best or which is easiest for you to use. Tons and tons of features mean nothing if you don't know how to use them or don't have the patience to learn. Pick whichever you like working with best.

Definitely try the demos of software and Cubase and Sonar are very good choices to try. You may also want to look into Ableton Live. All three have good MIDI features. You may want to make sure whatever program you decide on supports VST plugins and VST instruments.

I personally use Pro Tools, but if you will be using MIDI a lot, Pro Tools would not be a top choice.

I would suggest the same thing....

Download demo versions of SONAR and CUBASE (from their respective home sites) to see which one makes you feel the most comfortable. :cool:

spin

P.S.: I prefer Sonar 2.0XL, but that is just my $0.02. :D

Thanks for the Abelton Live heads-up. I forgot about that one. Tried to do the demo thing but the versions most manufacturers have are severely crippled especially the features I am most interested in like MIDI. Not sure about you guys but I'm just a bedroom studio and I don't have access to other studios with various setups. Any other suggestions short of spending hours at SA or GC? Wonder if these companies expect people to throw down a couple hundred dollars based on what they read off the back of the box.

Sonar's worked great for me

I found sonar to be easy to use and very friendly for a newbie. As with anything, you have to read the manual, but the manual takes you thru it nicely

Back