Choosing Someone to Mix/Master your Song

Bane01

Like Yeah!
Hi,

I've been shopping around for someone to master a pop style of songs, and I've found a wide variety of price ranges. Everything from $18-250 per track. Of course the demos on every site will sound good. What do you look for in a good company you can trust?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Thanks,
Bane

Of course the demos on every site will sound good.

Hey there!
Of course most people are going to put their best work on their site, but I don't think that necessarily means it'll be good.
Demos are definitely worth listening to. ;)

Other than that, it's two things for me.
Past client testimonials (not from the engineers website), and communication.

If you have friends who can recommend an engineer, that's great, and if you can meet with or talk to the guy in person then you'll get a real sense of what he's about.

Apologies for being gender specific. I couldn't be bothered with brackets and slashes. :)

Like the post above mentions, the demos are definately worth listening to. Newer engineers trying to come up may think their work is good, but really don't know what they are doing yet, or just suck in general. Listening to a demo will at least help weed a few people out. Also, you can hear what the enginee does with specific genres. He/she may be able to mix a great hip-hop cd, but has no idea where to begin on a metal album. This can also help narrow your search.

Word of mouth is huge in this business. Try to get in contact with artists who have worked with the engineer previously. If they had a bad experience, it's quite possible you will as well. Also they will have insight on how the engineers worked. They may be great at what they do, but be hard to work with.

Personally, I would first decide what the an appropriate value would be. If its just your first recording, and its a little weak, there is no need spending a few hundred dollars on something that isn't worth it. They can make it sound better, but if it sucks, they'll just be polishing something that sucks to begin with. On the other side, if this is something that you've spent a lot of hours and money on already, then you don't want to go to someone that doesn't quite know what they're doing. Decide what you can afford, and what you would be willing to spend. After I've gotten a price range I'd start looking for someone in that range. Then I'll get an idea of who the engineers are, what they've done, and listen to some demos. After that I'd go based on personal connection. I want to work with someone I can tolerate, that has the same views, and ideas about the music. Then go from there.

Good luck.

finemastering.de did all my masters. The 128Kps Soundclick versions aren't sonically great at that bitrate, but they do give you a broad range of tunes for examples of his work. Check em out at the GMP Link in my sig

From big houses like Sterling and others most engineers (shameless plug--myself included) will do a test master, 30 sec or so and send it back see if you like it. Word of mouth is definitely big so is the price range

Have to disagree on part of that -- Most big houses - heck, most medium houses (myself included) don't do and for the most part don't have time to do "test masters" * -- Certainly not Sterling, Gateway, Airshow, Euphonic, Digido, etc.

I advertised the whole "sample" thing once - for less than 24 hours. Had over 30 sample requests. No one can keep up with that. And that was the end of that. Personally, I find the "cattle call" mentality is watering down the whole industry at this point. I won't even get into "test mixes" ---

* Not that I'm completely against auditioning for certain accounts and labels and what not - But as a rule of thumb, it's like (paraphrasing another engineer here) walking around "downtown" and asking hookers for sample bl*wj*bs to find out which one you're going to pay.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm an amateur, and definitely on a tight budget. As I shop around and find these $20 deals, I'm just worried that it's some nobody sitting on their DAW screwing around. Alot of times the mastered demos only sound louder, nothing else different. Heck, I can do that! Looks like I may have to do some background checks. :)

How can you tell how good a mastering job is unless you hear the un-mastered version first? Maybe what you're hearing in the samples is the result of a great mix that was sent to the mastering house and the mastering engineer didn't do anything to it.

Back