Choosing A Studio Vocal Mic

Cody Suit

likes Fast/Heavy music
I narrowed it down to 3 choices. I record mostly screaming and yelling and stuff.

Studio Projects C1
Audio Technica AT2020
Oktava MK319

i was thinkin of going with the C1. i think the AT2020 is like almost $100 bucks cheaper

On a yeller or screamer it's difficult to say what'll work until you start putting mics on them. I usually end up with a dynamic mic on that sort of person as we're not so much going for fidelity as we are a feeling.

Of the mics you've listed any one might work and then it might not. It just depends on how things match up.

The only way to determine which mic is best for you is to audition them.

Good sound comes from your particular voice working with a particular mic in your particular recording space and no one can tell you what will or will not work.... you gotta find out for yourself.

is there maybe one of those that is more of a commonly used or maybe good for other instruments?

Cody Suit said:
I narrowed it down to 3 choices. I record mostly screaming and yelling and stuff.

Could you swing an SM-7? That would most likely be much better than any of those three for screaming and yelling (and often even for singing).

Well you know I just have mention....

You can read about a comparison I did on the Studio Projects C3 vs the sE Electronics SE2200-A on my web-site if you'd like (Studio Stuff page).
The C3 is the next step up from the C1 and is a 3 pattern large diaphragm mic.
The 2200-A has only a cardioid pattern.
The C3 has a lot of sibilance/hi-end where the 2200-A is a little more flat across the spectrum with a little less bump in the highs but enough to catch a little air as they say.
C3 is $269 street.
2200-A is about $299 street.
2200-A has a much nicer shockmount and has a better overall quality feel in my opinion.
Unfortunately the old model sE Electronics have gained a not so good notoriety due to build problems and reliability issues. In fact, as I have read, they used to be built where Studio Projects, MXL, ADK, and other mics are currently built (OEM?).
sE now has it's own factory and now oversees all phases of their manufacturing processes from start to finish. Yada Yada Yada.... :rolleyes:

Back