Choir recording with solo and a potentially weak section

giopad65

hi everybody,
I am planning some recordings with my a capella vocal group (a small choir of 15-18 people).
I could face a couple of problems:
1) in a piece there's going to be a solo bass (myself! ;) ) singing before the choir
2) in some pieces the soprano section could be a little weak with respect to the other section (volume-wise).
Now, I plan to record the ensemble with a matched pair of Oktava MK-012's in ORTF mode, using my Fireface 400 and my Macbook Pro.
I am wondering if a couple more microphones for the soloist and the soprano section could be helpful. I would eventually manage the volume level for these mics during the post-production work. I have a dual channel external mic pre I could plug into the analog line inputs of the FF400.
For the purpose I could use a couple of Rode M3's and/or a SE2200A II (the new multipattern mic).
What do you think about?
Thank you very much.

Many ways to tackle this situation. More mics would be fine, though you'd have to keep an eye on phase issues. I'd suggest setting up your ORTF mics and trying a few choir positions (having folks stand closer/ further away from the mics) to capture the correct balance of voices. This of course would mean you'd have to don a set of HP's and listen / direct thru a few takes...but the end result should be worth it. Good luck!

Seems as though you should work out these problems before the show and work on getting the weaker sections up to par.

I've experimented and, when using spot mics for solos and the like, I tend to prefer an X-Y coincident pair as my main mics, I think because it eliminates one source of potential phase errors.

...Down to personal preference I know, but it might be worth a try if you're having problems with the ORTF method.

I've experimented and, when using spot mics for solos and the like, I tend to prefer an X-Y coincident pair as my main mics, I think because it eliminates one source of potential phase errors.

...Down to personal preference I know, but it might be worth a try if you're having problems with the ORTF method.

I did some recording tonight, have to check them carefully yet, but the sound seems to be good. I ended up using an X-Y setup, spacing the stereo image by panning the two channels apart. If there's something good, I'll share with you guys. ;)

Back