choir monitoring

Innovations

I know that this isn't exactly a studio building question but it is as close as any other.

I am about to make some suggestions to my church (where I lead one of the choirs) about the sound system. Most of the items I am pretty confident on.

Currently none of the loudspeakers in the church point toward the choir area, no doubt over feedback concerns. However some of the choir members have complained about not being able to hear the presider well. Also I am concerned that the organ (which is connected to the general sound system) is being heard by the congregation much louder than we, (including the organist) realize.

So the solution that I am thinking of is a set of speakers in the choir area only carrying the organ and other non-choir mics (to avoid feedback). The most obvious way of doing that would be to have the speakers fed from the aux-out port on the mixer and then dial in the aux-send on the channels that we want monitored. Having never set that up before, does it require anything special in terms of cables, connectors, or types of speakers?

Then comes the choice of where to put the speakers. The first choice would be at floor level about give feet in front of the first row (of four). The second choice is about twelve feet up at the same place but further to the side of the choir. That would put them in line with the new location I am planning for the microphones but further to the side (in other words the microphones will be in front of the choir, the monitor speaker to the left of them in a row.

I would want them above, otherwise the back rows complain. I've seen one choir put floor monitors all around them to try to fix the problem, but it works poorly, and it's a pain to setup and tear down.

I don't think that will solve the problem with the organist volume. I'm guessing the mixer is next to the choir so it is a poor mix position. Try to get it right during rehearsal with an experienced ear out in the sanctuary.

You are correct about using an aux channel, you'll need another power amp or powered monitors. If you are going to mount the monitors overhead, make sure they are mounted properly. That may require professional installation for building code or insurance approval. Connectors vary, but it's usually a TRS or XLR to the power amp, and 1/4" or Speakon connectors to the monitors.

mshilarious said:
I would want them above, otherwise the back rows complain. I've seen one choir put floor monitors all around them to try to fix the problem, but it works poorly, and it's a pain to setup and tear down.

I don't think that will solve the problem with the organist volume. I'm guessing the mixer is next to the choir so it is a poor mix position. Try to get it right during rehearsal with an experienced ear out in the sanctuary.

You are correct about using an aux channel, you'll need another power amp or powered monitors. If you are going to mount the monitors overhead, make sure they are mounted properly. That may require professional installation for building code or insurance approval. Connectors vary, but it's usually a TRS or XLR to the power amp, and 1/4" or Speakon connectors to the monitors.
unfortunately the mixer is actually in an entirely separate room in a locked cabinet! (Too many problems with amateurs screwing it up.)

If we go with the powered speakers route I presume that the speakers will need a power outlet nearby and would use a TRS plug.

Innovations said:
unfortunately the mixer is actually in an entirely separate room in a locked cabinet! (Too many problems with amateurs screwing it up.)

Try two-way radios during rehearsal. This is a Catholic church right? I feel your pain :(

If we go with the powered speakers route I presume that the speakers will need a power outlet nearby and would use a TRS plug.

Yeah, you'd need power in the vicinity, and ideally a way to switch it. They might have unbalanced inputs though, not that a TRS plug would matter there, but it might not be necessary.

Back