Chipset question

kesterdevine

I am very new to PC recording and still trying to wrap myself around the more detailed info about computers in general.

Can anybody explain chipsets to me in layman's terms and tell me how to determine what kind of chipset is in my computer. Or can you offer a link to an article that might help me understand the basics? So far my web searching has not been very beneficial.

I'm considering an Aardvark Q10 interface, but apparrently they don't work well with VIA chipsets, but do work well with Intel.

If I have an Intel processor, does that mean that I have an Intel chipset or is it more complex than that?

Your help is appreciated.

~Kester

If you could tell as much as you know about the machine, me or someone here can probably tell you what it has in it...

my computer specs

Dell 4600, Intel Pentium 4 processor, 2.66GHz w/533MHz FSB.
The Dell rep told me it has an 856G chipset, but I don't understand how that indicates if it is VIA, Intel, or something else.
Couldn't find related info in the literature that came with the computer.

Thanks for help.

I assume you mean the i865G chipset because there isn't such a thing as an '856'.
That's an intel chipset.
Having an intel processor doesn't necessarily mean that you have an intel chipset but here that's the case.

Thanks.

I just wrote down what the rep told me. I'm pretty sure he just said 856g, but I could've misunderstood. It's easy to do when you don't know what you're talking about ;-)

Anyway...thanks for the clarifycation, christiaan.

Much appreciated.

Back