Chinese figure-8 ribbons

Typically not, although that is common to most/all ribbons and not specific to the Chinese ones. I think this has to do with the corrugation of the ribbon and its offset position between the magnets, but I'm sure someone with more technical knowlegde can answer the "why" better than I can. I guess if you were doing critical Mid-Side recording, this might cause a problem, but, in general I wouldn't worry about it. I think the "difference" becomes less noticeable the further the sound source is from the mic.

This is what I was wondering -- how it would
work out for mid-side recording?
The recordings aren't real "critical"
but I'm wondering if it would work
out okay?

Haven't tried any of the Chinese Ribbons, but on a Royer R121, the back side is brighter than the front. I use the backside more often.

petimar said:
Haven't tried any of the Chinese Ribbons, but on a Royer R121, the back side is brighter than the front. I use the backside more often.

According to the Royer website, that difference is insignificant/nonexistant at distances of greater than 3 feet. That is, you can use it to your advantage when tracking up close (guitar amps, vocals), but still have equal sound for mid-side recording of more distant sources.

I bought a couple of the chineese ribbons during the last group buy. One of them had a double ribbon configuration. It seems to be pretty even on both sides and a slightly hotter than expected output overall. The single ribbon unit seems to have a bit more proximity going for it on the front than the back and seems a tad bit darker on the back (this is when up close) back it off and I'm unable to detect a difference.

punkin said:
The single ribbon unit seems to have a bit more proximity going for it on the front than the back and seems a tad bit darker on the back (this is when up close) back it off and I'm unable to detect a difference.
Keep in mind that you need to actually record the mic and compare the recordings to get a true assessment of the difference between front and back. If you try to judge them by listening live through headphones while singing or speaking into them, the test will be fairly meaningless.

The problem is polarity. The two sides of the mic will produce signals of opposite polarity, so that when the signal combines with the live sound carried by the air or by the bones in your jaw and ear, you hear a VERY different sound from the two sides of the mic. So even if the two sides are producing nearly identical signals, they won't sound at all the same to you.

Capture the signals to tape or disk and listen to the recordings if you want a valid test. Apologies to those who had already taken this into account.

Understood...I'm basing my assessment on acoustic and electric guitar recordings I've made here in the past couple months. Thanks for the reminder to me and the others listening up here. Good call.

Just for reference here, I have some clips that compare the AEA R84 and the AEA R92 using the front and rear in identical positions here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2079&alid=1286

They are stereo files that must be panned if you want to compare mic to mic, but I'm sharing here so those that aren't familiar with what's being talked about can hear it. The rear of any figure 8 ribbon mic I've ever used has this same characteristic of being brighter on the rear with somewhat less proximity effect.

War

petimar said:

That is because the Royer has a unique and novel design. That front/back characteristic is not typical of classic ribbons. Both sides should sound the same. Or create the same signal, theoretically.

I'd say a Figure-of-8 ribbon would be dandy as the "side" mic in an M/S micing pattern.

Now, I haven't heard any of the Chinese ribbons myself, but I have heard some very mixed reviews on them.

There are a couple of very affordable USA made ribbons: 1) AEA R92, and 2) Crowley and Tripp Naked eye. They're both well under a grand.
Naked Eye
AEA R92

Punkin, tell us more about your Chinese mics

Hey Punkin, What applications do you prefer with which of the Chinese ribbons and why? Are any of these your "go to" mics or are they mostly shelf mics? (Don't mean to hijack this thread). Thanks, Don

I believe that I have the HRM-14 and the HRM-15. The HRM-14 is a dual ribbon with a much more flavored/darker sound to it. The HRM-15 really is a nice mic and I use it all the time with E-guitar and once in awhile with acoustic. I actually prefer the HRM-15 in most cases over the dual ribbon unit. It just sounds a little more neutral but still gives up that softening effect you get from ribbons. These were direct buy mics so I can't say what their street equivalent would be. Might give Chance a holler to see if he's got any real freq response charts. I picked them up because you simply couldn't beat the price for even cheezy mics...turns out they're quite nice and very useable.

Thanks Punkin, I've noticed dual ribbon Chinese mics on Ebay and I was curious about thier sound. Unfortunately I assume the Chinese dual ribbon is not a poor man's 160. I didn't really expect it was, just wishful thinking. Thanks again.

Back