childhood songs

Interesting. I was just listening to some of that. Boy, was I stupid...and apparently quite angry. BUT there were a few that I might goof around with were I in a band today.

Eddie Vedder wrote "Betterman" when he was like 14....you never know what the past holds...In my case the past holds songs with 2 to 3 chords...haha

b

just wondering cause im a teenager right now and looking forward at the future wondering if any of the songs I'm writing now will be playable and still sound good to me 6 or 7 years down the road

I just recorded one I wrote about ten years ago. The whole concept changed but none of the lyrics. I still feel connected to the words and I like this new version better than any of the previous. Thinking further back to some of the earlier songs I would have to say I feel less of a connection. In a way it is as if I did not write them but I still like a lot of them and think it is an interesting concept to keep performing songs that have lost their relevancy for you for the reason that they would still have some relevance for someone who is now in the boat you were in when you wrote them.

Wrote, wrote, wrote your boat...

-b :rolleyes:

Axis said:
just wondering cause im a teenager right now and looking forward at the future wondering if any of the songs I'm writing now will be playable and still sound good to me 6 or 7 years down the road

Hang onto everything you write.If it's a good song it will stand the test of time.If it's not that great you still might be able to take a few lines here and there from it and work it into another song years down the line.

Always date your lyric sheets.It's also a good way to document your musical/writing life.It's like a diary of sorts.

If you are writing complete songs and you are a teenager, I think it is less about the actual material you produce than the process and growth you are experiencing. Everything you write now is helping to find and define your voice... that is good no matter what.

Anything is closer to a masterpiece than nothing. Keep going and don't worry about the "test of time..." it is irrelevant to this very moment at which you may worry about the future or be present with your creativity.

Back