Cher -- resilient heroine or overrated idol

Quite a special woman. I dated a girl who was a fanatic fan of hers. Learned a lot about her. She was a good singer and she and Sonny were a hoot. Definitely worthy of a place in r’& r hall of fame

I haven't been making music for 7 decades (yet), but when I will have, I'll let you know ;)
She is an entertainer. I think RRHoF is a joke to be honest.
I must say I don't quite get the point of the Hall of Fame.
Quite a special woman. I dated a girl who was a fanatic fan of hers. Learned a lot about her.
Yup, that's how discovering music happens 8-)

She achieved success in the entertainment industry in both music and movies. Looking at her background she had a pretty dysfunctional childhood, her father was no Ward Cleaver. It sounds like her mother was a resilient heroine as well. It's interesting that her mother's singing voice was so similar to Cher's.

Reactions: TAE
I've been listening to Cher since she and Sonny did "I Got You Babe". She deserves to be in the RRHF more than the Hip Hop groups like Grandmaster Flash and BIG. Sure she goes over the top with the costuming, but that developed later in her career. She played the Diva roll. But, The Beat Goes On, Half Breed, Bang Bang and Gypsies Tramps and Thieves are more "rock and roll" than stuff by a lot of the artists.

I think RRHoF is a joke to be honest.
You're correct it is kind of like the stars in the sidewalks in Hollyweird, a money maker for Hollywood and a cool "thing to see" when you're in that area....a tourism thing.
The country artist I play with Brent Payne was inducted into the California rock n roll hall of fame this last January...what a strange experience....William Shatner was inducted as was Canned Heat and Jan & Dean with only Dean still being alive. It was cool hanging backstage and all but why were "we" there? :unsure: It is a newer "hall of fame: but still a hall of fame and you get a plaque n everything. :laughings:

Shatner was pretty aloof the drummer from Canned heat was the only remaining member..So I thought it was a bit weird Brent being inducted but ok cool. But there were a few other bands that were also inducted that I just had to say WTF to. So yeah it's just a gimmicky thing to make $$$$.

All that BS said...

Cher is a bad ass entertainer, loved her when she was starting out with Sonny and then on her own for the last almost 50+ years. In my book she is on par with Elvis, Sinatra etc.

All seriousness aside....

She did good for herself, and if in the process of doing so she entertained some folks, brought a little enjoyment into this world, good on 'er. Not bad vocals, really, decent actress, pretty lady, easy to look at, got a pretty momma, [(half?) sister too].

The r&r Hall of fame is a joke, lost its way, purpose and meaning. That said, if she's happy for the induction, recognition, I'm happy for her. Why not. There's enough meanness in this world. The brand, she stuck it out, I reckon she's earned some sort of recognition.

Seriousness, I'm sorry I called her a w****. That she didn't deserve. I think it was obvious to recognize I was just kidding. I was kidding, bringing a little sunshine into this world, enjoyment. It's what I do. That said, don't go inducting me to nuthin, i'm good.

• Haha
Reactions: TAE
That said....

Anybody who uses autotune on vocals, or to that extent, should be disqualified from the r&r h of f. Autotune ain't rock n roll. Did Neil Young use autotune, Bob Dylan, Lemmy, Capt Beefheart, Bruce Springfield, them damn Sex Pistols, I don't think so. Maybe they should have, but that's a different argument. I don't wanna hear it. Thems the rules, or should be. No autotune. And toupes, rugs, wigs, on men. No fake hair. Sorry Cher. Sorry Spinal Taps. Sorry that guy from Quiet Riot(rip). And sad to say, sorry Paul Rodgers. No need to scratch that bald head wondering why, you went and done it and canceled yourself. No autotune, and no fake hair. Thems the rules, or ought to be.

Oh, pointy guitars I reckon we can let go, but odd numbered stringed instruments. Nope. Ain't nothin radical or rebellious about that, it's just weird. Stop it.

Cher is a bad ass entertainer, loved her when she was starting out with Sonny and then on her own for the last almost 50+ years. In my book she is on par with Elvis, Sinatra etc.
I agree with that statement.

Seriousness, I'm sorry I called her a w****. That she didn't deserve. I think it was obvious to recognize I was just kidding. I was kidding, bringing a little sunshine into this world, enjoyment. It's what I do. That said, don't go inducting me to nuthin, i'm good.
I actually thought it was funny when you said, "nothing more rocknroll than that." Which seemed true!

That said....

Anybody who uses autotune on vocals, or to that extent, should be disqualified from the r&r h of f. Autotune ain't rock n roll. Did Neil Young use autotune, Bob Dylan, Lemmy, Capt Beefheart, Bruce Springfield, them damn Sex Pistols, I don't think so. Maybe they should have, but that's a different argument. I don't wanna hear it. Thems the rules, or should be. No autotune. And toupes, rugs, wigs, on men. No fake hair. Sorry Cher. Sorry Spinal Taps. Sorry that guy from Quiet Riot(rip). And sad to say, sorry Paul Rodgers. No need to scratch that bald head wondering why, you went and done it and canceled yourself. No autotune, and no fake hair. Thems the rules, or ought to be.
No Autotune and no "rug"! Just some rock and roll attitude.

Back