Checking Out Tracktion3

EdWonbass

pull the goalie
As the title says, I have been checking out Mackie Tracktion3. I downloaded the demo and have been messing around with it for a few days. It seems to do most of the things I would need it to do. As soon as my midi keyboard controller get here I will be able to try it out with more stuff.
A couple of years ago I downloaded Tracktion1 and found it to be strange and I couldn't figure it out. For some reason, I get it now. I guess my main concern is that I will be missing out on some features that I haven't yet discovered the need for.
Is Tracktion too light weight for doing any serious recording? I think I dig the single screen thing.
I am currently using Cubase LE but I might want to upgrade to something else. I might eventually get some kind of control surface and Cubase LE doesn't work with most of them. I hear that the Frontier Design Alpha Track now works with Tracktion 3. I have also been evaluating Reaper but I don't quite know if it's for me.
I'm pretty sure I don't need Cubase 4 for that kind of $$.
Any thoughts on Tracktion3? The basic project bundle is $99. That seems like a pretty decent price.

Yes! Now quickly tell me what I need to know. :D

No I just wnat to know what the feeling is about Tracktion. It doesn't seem to get much love here.

i haven't used traktion since version 1. i liked it then and surely it has improved. i'm a reaper head myself.

I'm also checking out Reaper but I must admit, I am a sucker for Tracktion's simplistic beauty and clean lines. I think if Tracktion was a dude, I might be gay for it. :o

Seriously Tracktion was very alien to me the first time I tried it (version 1) but now for some reason it all makes sense and it is easy to get around on.

I use Mackie Traction 2.1 and I think "For me" it is the best program....I like the super easy interface and since I don"t use Midi or anything really Fancy accept for a few Plugins I really like it.....

:D

I liked Tracktion well enough to buy v2 as well, but I moved on from it. Been using Ableton Live for awhile, but lately I'm becoming a Reaper convert for straight-ahead tracking.

I liked the context-based style of Tracktion, but I wasn't so fond of the dozens of buttons with dozens of functions in each. Of all the software I've gotten into, Reaper seems one of the most intuitive as far as getting things done. Surely, though - if T floats yer boat, it'll do the job for ya.

willowhaus said:
I liked Tracktion well enough to buy v2 as well, but I moved on from it. Been using Ableton Live for awhile, but lately I'm becoming a Reaper convert for straight-ahead tracking.

I liked the context-based style of Tracktion, but I wasn't so fond of the dozens of buttons with dozens of functions in each. Of all the software I've gotten into, Reaper seems one of the most intuitive as far as getting things done. Surely, though - if T floats yer boat, it'll do the job for ya.

trying out other software is really the best way to find out what works for you. reaper works well for me too and i've been through a few different recording apps. i really liked the direction tracktion was headed in version 1 (remember when version 1 was free?) but i was already knee deep in cubase. by the time i started making the most of cubase, i checked in on reaper's progress and was blown away by the routing and plugins. i wanted to stay in cubase because i had already put in so much time learning my way around but there were so many things that i could accomplish in reaper without having to jump thru hoops. the move to reaper just happened without even trying. i just used it and it worked without the roadblocks.

what's changed in tracktion from version 1 to 3? i downloaded the demo and will be checking it out in my free time. what are tracktions strong and weak points? it's obviously built to be intuitive from the get go but does it accomplish that? how's the routing?

From what I can tell in Tracktion 3 it is pretty easy to set up anything. You have to go in and make sure all of your inputs are enabled but other than that it's pretty basic. With tracktion there are no limits on the number of inputs. I don't know much about the outs. I mix in the box so I haven't needed to explore that. I'm also pretty much an audio recording guy and I don't mess too much with VSTi's at the time. I did just buy an M-Audio Oxygen 8v2 so I have been messing around a little. I even set up the controller to control the mixer transport and and track volume levels in Tracktion in about 5 minutes. Of course this was after spending 2 hours doing it in Cubase LE. :D It seems to do just about anything I need it to do. At the level I'm at anyway.
I do like Reaper but I'm just so used to Cubase. I guess what I really need to do is record a song using Reaper from start to finish and see how that goes. It's been so long but I'm sure Cubase was a nightmare when I first started using it.

I have pushed it hard for a long time now, and got on board just as T2 was released (got in a pissing contest with Sam Ash to get it though) but I have been VERY happy with it, and have found a mixing style that works for me very well.

for me..tracktion doesnt clog the creative juices with loads of technical crap.

and surely thats what its all about.

Traction 3

I have the Traction 3 Ultimate Bundle, it is incredible. Takes a while to get use to it, which I am still trying to learn myself, it will do anything you tell it to. Handles the CPU well and does not bog down. Good choice, upgrade to the ultimate bundle if you don't alreday have it.

i have the "le" version, or whatever it was that came with my audio fire 2.

i only use it to track 2 track live stuff on my laptop, but i like it.
my regular daw is protools, and i think cubase kinda sucks (klunky and counter intuitive to me)

i have the original ver. 1 that came with my onyx mixer, and i like the single-screen style workflow of it...but it seemed pretty limited feature-wise, so i made the move to cubase

i'm sure they've added/expanded on a lot since then, though...i'd check out the new version if there was any chance i could afford it right now

I use Tracktion 2 myself, and love it. It's the only audio software I've tried that really makes sense to me and doesn't get in the way too much. I'll probably upgrade to T3 at some point, but I'm in no hurry... I don't feel I'm missing out on much feature-wise. The only thing I really want from T3 is all the loop support, and I've obviously lived without it THIS long.

The single-pane, context-sensitive interface is DA BOMB.

Another happy T2 user here. The upgrades from T2 to T3 didn't entice me enough to buy it, but T2 is a great, simple program that has been able to handle most anything I have thrown at it.

I normally use Logic Studio 8 on my Mac G5 but Traction 3 is getting more use lately... at first I thought it looked like crap but the more I use it the more I realize how simple it is to "Git_R_Done" I like it!

I've been a tracktion user for a long while. Started out in Acid pro, which i now think is a pile of trash, and got tracktion 2. WOW what a difference. Tracktion 3 is basically the same, but with some more features. Really easy to work in, and a nice simple single screen interface. Great stuff.

Got T2

I got one version 1 of Tracktion with my ESI Juli@ card.

Was going to do some recording was using N-track at the time. For some friends.

Then when set up N-track started crashing my computer. (never did it before) :mad:

Was in a panic. Then remembered I had Tracktion, Loaded it and in less then 10 minutes I was tracking again :D I was sold :D

Then got a RME FF800 and a Octamic pre and upgraded to T2 No issues

Will be moving onto T3 Ultimate version very soon.

I Like it like it allot :cool:

My 2 Watts

Back