Checking mono mix in PT 8

A man after my own heart!

I'm thinking about this at current too. If I can think of a way to do it with software I'll let you know.

I suspect the best way is with hardware

2 ways I know of to do this.. 1. insert a stereo widener on the master.. many of them have a mono switch.. press it.. bypass the plugin when you want to go back to the stereo mix..

2. Create a mono aux input and buss everything to it.. solo it or mute it when you do or don't want to check your mix.

And I may be confused.. but shouldn't you leave your pans where they are? Once you're listening in mono then you would pan whatever track around to see where it really stands out.. it would defeat the purpose if you were changing your pans before listening in mono.. at least to my understanding.

Check your interface.. my 003 has a mono button so I can easily do this.. so I'll just solo one speaker and listen in mono.. sometimes things will dissapear in mono and you have to adjust the pan until it comes back in and sounds good. This is also something that leads me to believe you don't want to mess with your pans.. get them where you want them in stereo.. then listen in mono and see if the pans need to change.. or maybe I don't understand.. but anyway.. hope this was helpful.

Back