check this... tear my guts out.

Wow I haven't herd a harmonica in a while :D
The streamline is pretty stetchy at that website I got to hear about 1 minute of the song and then the connection will not keep going.
Well take my points with a grain of salt but I overall liked it.
My puter speakers really suck and it is hard to hear alot of what is going on in the song.
The vocals seem very distorted. It was hard to tell what was being sang. That would be my main critism. Is this on porpuse? You might need to pull your trim or gain down on the mic input.
The overall mix seems like it needs a bit of fine tuning but overall me likey :)
What are you recording with?

jontflesh

Hey Jon. Thanks for the listen.

The verse vocals are distorted--that's intentional. Doubled the vox and used an amp-sim plug on one, and pulled it down a compared to the clean one.

That's too bad about the connection. The song kicks in at about 1.5 minutes really.

-Jett

Ok I got it to play finally fully :D

I like it even more now!
The guitars are fuggen cool! Really crazy slides and bends.

Around 2 mins everything gets really muddy for some reason (probably this super lo fi speaker wanna be surround sound work speakers)

I definitaly like it

jontflesh

The guitars and bass are recorded direct, with the Yahmaha version of the POD.

It's a nice box.

Thnx again.

-Jett

jet-rocker,

This one is really different, I like it a lot!!

This is one of those songs, that trancends any recording flaws, its so much fun to listen to.

Very honest style to your sound.

I like the whole thing recording and all, everything sounds right to me.

Is that just you, or did you have help?

Great work!!

Hey thanks GT.

Yeah it's just me. I used Acid for the drums though. I can play the drums servicably well, but they're such a pain to record, especially if it's just me.

I used an AT 4033 and that small diaphram Oktava for vox. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that little Oktava. Really detailed and strong high frequency range. Cuts through like a knife.

This type of music is a release for me. Normally I play geetar in a punk band. Which is fun... but is it music???

-Jett

my reference was THe cult-"painted on my heart"

I like what you did with the snare. How do you guys double like that?

I think that the guitars should be panned(more). THat way, you can make them louder without crowding the sonic space.

I usually like to hear more kick and bass, but it had about the same amount as my reference so I guess its ok.

THe playing is good, and the vocalist is aaight. I would like to hear a tad more lows in the voice, or maybe a tad less highs.

Also pan the backing vox.

I love the climax "to kill me in my sleeeeeeep" I cant explain it except that it just sounds beautiful.

YES! This is very retro, and very cool.

I really like the very loose sounding guitar work. The vocals were most interesting. The harp was great!

Did I just hear "Jesus lost his lunch meat"? This is almost zappa-ish, and almost a little punk! Damn I even maybe hear david bowie...talking heads...buzzcocks...blind melon...even the beatles.

I think the recording is pretty lofi sounding, but the song is cool enough to carry it...a good example of why the song is so much more important than the recording!

If you're looking for mix comments....the drums are way too far back. The bass is not really there. The vocals could have been up over the guitar more, but in this particular case putting the vocals behind the guitar gives it a more live sound. I going to assume you wanted a more live sound with the ultra reverb on this sucker...& delay on the drums?.

Anyways, I really *enjoyed* listening to this one. In fact I'll listen twice which I rarely do :)

On the second time I noticed "the world kept spinning" with the panned vocals...it worked really nicely. The big section immediately following is great. There's a lot of motion in this...a lot of stuff anymore just doesn't have shit going on...this has shit going ON!

I'm suprised this is just you...the hardest thing for any solo guy to do is to sound like A BAND. Good work man.

Slackmaster 2000

Man that's some brilliant arrangement for a noticeably Zappa-esque song!

The vocals are right in there.

When I hear this, or anything remotely in this genre, the different textures coming at me with each phrase of music creates a line pattern that I can visualize as an expanding mosaic. Your's kept expanding. Good Job!

Thanks guys. I appreciate your listens. I feel like I'm on the right track.

Cyan -- Yeah, I'd like to hear the bass more too. I think part of the problem is that I put the bass through a guitar pre-amp.

I play the guitar like the bass, being the guitar player that I am, so sometimes the bass sounds like another guitar. Doh!!!!

I'm planning on working the bass out a little more. Give it a little more oomph, especially in the space where it is alone.

Slack--I always seem to wind up with a retro sound. I don't get it, but I like it. I wasn't thinkin Zappa, but if you guys insist. Frank rules my world. Bowie maybe. I have had the Ziggy Stardust CD in my CD player forever.

The bass, yeah the bass...

Jesus lost his lunchmeat alright. This feels pretty tame to me. The punk stuff that I do, is down right raunchy.

Glad you dig it.

Doc--A complement from you, is a compliment indeed. Your stuff is great.

FZmontana--glad you like it.

-Jett

jet:

Fun song. Kinda raw. Reminds me of early Violent Femmes, but better. Also, it hints of punkish Beatles.

Try running the bass direct. Use a direct box if you don't have active pickups. This often results in a better tone than even a bass amp mic'ed.

Matt

Thanks BBB.

I've been toying with the idea of a direct box. Thinking of a Countryman or a SansAmp Bassdriver, pros and cons for each.

Both seem to have fanatical followings. MOney is short as always.

-Jett

Harp thoughts

Crazy ass song, I liked it. The singing style wasnt my type but that´s not important.

I like that "dirty" retro harp sound you have but I have a tip. If you have or can get your hands on a stereo mic then a harp can sound wery intresting since you can get the notes to "walk" across the sound stage.
I have used this ón the following song where there is a harp solo in the latter part. Check it out. (The overall song sounds terribly unbalanced and isnt mastered but ignore that)

http://www.vitaminic.se/cgi-php/get_file.php3?modo=1&bid=190158

Typing this before reading what everyone else said...

I really dig the crazy guitars sounds in the verses, but to me the chorus doesn't quite mesh with the funky feel of the verses...

Seem to lose some of the bottom end power when you go into the prechorus and chorus....

The vox are distorted, did you mean to do that?

I also love the outro, I love big outros....

Queue

jet said I'll listen to yours if you listen to mine.

you owe me.... :eek:

Queue's Thread...

Back