Check this out

johnny5dm

Alright, so I've been meaning to put this up for awhile...

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=5489

This is a recording done very quickly, and also admittedly has some issues, primarily relating to timing. There are also some weird phasing sounds on his vocal that were due to a glitch (now fixed) in Sonar. I'm more interested in what you guys think of the recording quality, the production (timing aside), etc. Pick apart the recording if you feel like it.

James (the guy who's singing) plays guitar and keys, I played bass and drums, and did all of the engineering, mixing, mastering, etc. It's also worthwhile to note that James only had lyrics and guitar parts. I did a lot of the arranging, and the bass and drum parts are mine.

Let me know!

Not a bad tune.....vocals are buried though, hard to understand the singer, yeah there are some timing issues but I think that it would be worth your time to go back and fix the little problems. As far as recording quality, could be a bit cleaner, and more defined but, as you said, this was done rather fast....hard to get good and fast in the same job. I think the song has some promise....go back and work it into something you like................again....nice tune!!!

Stridently lo fi but good for it.
Good song & the overall mix is pretty good.
The perennial about definition for the bass...

Really awsome tune. Its a good song but im listening now low because its 1:20am and it sounds like it needs more low end but ill check again. Everything sounds good. What stuff do you use?

jpw23 said:
Not a bad tune.....vocals are buried though, hard to understand the singer, yeah there are some timing issues but I think that it would be worth your time to go back and fix the little problems. As far as recording quality, could be a bit cleaner, and more defined but, as you said, this was done rather fast....hard to get good and fast in the same job. I think the song has some promise....go back and work it into something you like................again....nice tune!!!

Vocals being buried... are you mainly talking about the middle of the song? Or the whole thing? And do you think his intelligibility is more having to deal with his singing or the recording? I ask, because words can't describe how much better that recording sounds than he does live ;) That's like 40 vocal takes seamed together. And V-Vocaled. That was lots 'o' fun...

Cleaner and more defined... I could see that. The electric guitars kind of blend together a bit too much - is that the main specific thing that needs more definition? I know the toms need some work, too - those were pretty old heads, and I was never happy with the sound there.

Any specifics on reaching the goals you mentioned would be very helpful. Thanks!!

rayc said:
Stridently lo fi but good for it.
Good song & the overall mix is pretty good.
The perennial about definition for the bass...

When you say "stridently lo fi", what exactly do you mean by that, and what in particular makes it that way? Just looking to improve as much as I can.

And bass definition... yeah, I think I went a little too heavy on that in my mastering of the song, and kind of killed it.

Again, if you have any other specifics, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!!

DAS19 said:
Really awsome tune. Its a good song but im listening now low because its 1:20am and it sounds like it needs more low end but ill check again. Everything sounds good. What stuff do you use?

Yeah, it does need more low end. My mastering wasn't so masterful. :)

Stuff I use... well, here's a partial list. Let me know if you want more.

This was done using:
2 firepods
Sony Vaio 2.4Ghz/WinXp
Sonar 5 PE

Drums:
D6, SM57, SM77 (old-ass 57 without transformer), MD421, 2x AT Pro25s, SP C4s
Electric: E609, MD421, SM57 depending on part -
Acoustic: SP C4s
Keys: Nord Modular through guitar amp with old Korg delay
Bass: Digitech BP8 - best thing I got. I need a better pre...
Vocal: Rode NTK

The best part is that this was all done in my basement. :) I was pretty happy, considering...

I'd love to hear any specific thoughts on...

acoustic guitar - quality/does this sound fit? ways to improve this?
drums - particularly snare. I was never happy with this. thoughts?
mastering - too much compression? not enough? I know the bass is too low.

Hi

I like the song a lot. It has good vocals, guitars and drums. The song is compressed a lot but it fits well the song.

Nice work.

/Jack Real

Back