Check this out -- NOT SPAM

lee miran

This is not spam. I have nothing to do with this site. I ran across the link on the cakewalk newsgroup.

http://www.brkmastering.com

Apparently, they are an online mastering service. You upload a full wave file or collection of files for mastering. They even offer one song free to try them out.

thats so stupid I cant even express it.

Maybe there's an online mixing guy, too. I could just send my rought takes to him.. and hed mail me back a disc!

xoxo

I don't think anybody should ever mix or master with out being in the room with the engineer. That is the start of misunderstandings.

But...those that do send away to master...what's so wrong with this idea? He gives a free trail test? I find that extremly reasonable. Better then most mastering suites that you find out later that you have just thrown away your savings.

Before anything else.........

....I'd like to know what their gear list consists of!

This could be a Boray with EQ'd HiFi speakers, Alesis 31-band EQ and a nanocompressor for all the website mentions! :p ;)

"Full Mastering-
all the bells and whistles.... We carefully listen to each track and decide what processes should be used to get the best possible sound. Includes: Noise reduction, EQ, Harmonic exciting, Stereo Imaging/Enhancing, Multiband compression, Limiting, Custom track layout including Track fades and cross fades."
Yikes.:eek: Wavelab and a boatload of plugins does not a mastering engineer make.

Track Rat said:
"Full Mastering-
all the bells and whistles.... We carefully listen to each track and decide what processes should be used to get the best possible sound. Includes: Noise reduction, EQ, Harmonic exciting, Stereo Imaging/Enhancing, Multiband compression, Limiting, Custom track layout including Track fades and cross fades."
Yikes.:eek: Wavelab and a boatload of plugins does not a mastering engineer make.

I know quite a few people that master on PT using plug ins.
Not the ten percentil of top notch mastering but get the job done very nicely using. If it comes back sounding good then the gear he used isn't relevent.

But then again I wouldn't mix/master with out being there myself.....UNLESS...It's Boray...him I trust..If he can master with his gear he must[b/] be a genuis !!. :D

I don't have a problem with uploaded files for the ME. There are many of the big name Mastering Engineers that recieve via the internet or ftp from the label or from the mixer. There is some debate to the quality, but most agree its bit accurate. The PQ info and other additional information is also uploaded the same way. Ever heard of WOMP?

These guys are providing a low budget mastering service geared towards amateurish mastering for $200 bucks. These guys/gals are just trying to take advantage of the technology available. How well they do depends of their survivability in the long term, so ask for a free sample and have Moshe, Bluebear, Littledog, Sjoko, Pipeline, etc ... review the results and see whether or not we can as a community use this resource.
I might be able to get Brad Blackwood or Ronny Morris to also review the end product, Id hate to see some nethappy ME wannabe's taking advantage of people at $200 bucks a victim.

The site isn't fully funtional yet, so be patient ;)

SoMm

I knew that this thread would get some responses.

I too wish they made a gear list available. But, regardless what's the harm in sending them a track to do for free? If their work is $h!t, nothing lost, aside from upload and download time.

Re: Before anything else.........

Blue Bear Sound said:
....I'd like to know what their gear list consists of!

This could be a Boray with EQ'd HiFi speakers, Alesis 31-band EQ and a nanocompressor for all the website mentions! :p ;)

Or it could be someone as thickheaded as you. Then even the best gear wouldn't help.

OOOOOH looky here...

"Once the upload is complete, one of our engineers will get to work on mastering your song and have it ready for you to take a listen in about 3 working days. You will then be sent a personal URL via email where you can preview and download the final master of your song. Because this is only a trial to see how our service will work for you, a series of tones are placed every 20 seconds during the song to ensure the trial song is not distributed or pressed."

This was from the upload pages..

Re: Re: Before anything else.........

Boray said:
Or it could be someone as thickheaded as you. Then even the best gear wouldn't help.
After having heard examples of your "engineering skills" (and I use the term in the very worse sense), this is a very silly comment - even for you....!

schmuck.... :rolleyes:

the stupidity is that its the "one and only" ONLINE MASTERING SERVICE!!! Who care's if its online? That just means, hat.. I cant go there and sit in?
How cheap is it to send someone a Disc?
And MOST MEs in that price range would do a sample cut for you. This is just another place that takes advantage of people's LAZY ASSES... if you don't have the energy to do the research and connect with a ME you can use.. then I guess you deserve what you get.

xoxo

Not to mention copyright issues. Unless your work is copyrighted and all legal and clean. What's to stop them from ripping you off and making money off your product. Sounds too iffy to me especially since you don't know whats happening to it once they get it. I'll stick with my local ME here.

Re: Re: Re: Before anything else.........

Blue Bear Sound said:
After having heard examples of your "engineering skills" (and I use the term in the very worse sense), this is a very silly comment - even for you....!

schmuck.... :rolleyes:

Strange. Where did you get those? I have never provided any examples of my engineering skills. Read this thread again in case you forgot: http://www.vsplanet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=012922

/Anders

You've got clips, you twit.... you MUST be a complete fuckin' lunatic -- what's that on your website??? :rolleyes:

Christ, you're dense...........!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Damn, I couldn't help myself..........I just had to read that VSPlanet post...........and have a look at Boray's mp3 site and studio pics, etc.

Boray,

It appears that virtually none of the people who replied to your VSPlanet post can lay claim to being a professional when it comes to audio engineering...........one is a mechanical engineer, another is in real estate, other list other obscurish (sp) occupations in their profiles............obviously all are musicians of some calibre, BUT that does not qualify them to make anything other comments based on their personal preferences. Actually all indications are that they are all amateurs where their "studios" are concerned.

And NO, there is nothing wrong with being an amateur................but when a "professional" speaks it is wise to listen, even if you don't like what they have to say.

Maybe you just might learn something.

:cool:

Bluebear, The two most recent mp3s I have on the web was made the summer of 2001, the rest is from 2000 and 1999. And all of them are recorded (to mp3) through a really crappy soundcard. I have recorded and evolved so much since then so that is hardly any examples of my present engineering skills or playing skills.

ausrock, Did you check the profile for Jeff G? He is a producer, probably more "pro" than Bluebear. Why would I listen more to Bluebear who has only heard a couple of old crappy mp3s when everyone who has listened to my real CDs (mostly others involved in music) just praise them....? One of them was someone who has made music for national TV and released a couple of CDs for example. I know Bluebear just hates me to start with so he will never say that anything I did or said was any good anyway.

Back