Check out this mix......What do ya think???

dastrick

huh???
It's been a while since I've been on HR. Work & life in general has got me CRAZY BUSY. I've been messing around with this mix for a few months and it sounds decent to me, but what do you think? I need a fresh perspective from the good folks at HR.

View attachment Lorica (Legacy) 02-26-2012.mp3

NOTE: UPDATED SONG WITH NO DRUMS IN POST #7.

Thanks,
Dwayne

Last edited:
Its a nice song. I like the guitars and their texture. Maybe they can use some more sparkle. The vocals are nice the verb I think is too subtle for this mix maybe bring it out more. Now on to the drums.... Is that how you wanted them to sound? They are not cutting through, where are they?!? Could be if you hipass the guitars alil the drums will come forward a bit.

Its a nice song. I like the guitars and their texture. Maybe they can use some more sparkle. The vocals are nice the verb I think is too subtle for this mix maybe bring it out more. Now on to the drums.... Is that how you wanted them to sound? They are not cutting through, where are they?!? Could be if you hipass the guitars alil the drums will come forward a bit.

Sounds like brushes...? I like it, maybe a little to subtle, might be cool to have a shaker/egg shaker thingy in there some where?
Nice recording.

Thanks for listening and for the comments. I'll give them a shot when I can.

And now for the drums. Is probably should have explained in my original post, but oh well.

My intentions when starting this project was to use midi drums just for tempo, then track real drums. However, our drummer goes to school in another state which makes that extremely difficult. So the drums are simple midi drums, EZDrummer Lite (I think). Honestly I hate working with midi (mainly because it confuses the crap out of me) :o so I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the drums.

Now, I would be more than happy if someone wants to take a shot and add drums to it.....midi or real...doesn't matter to me. :D:D:D

Any takers??? :)

I think the guitars have plenty of sparkle. They're a little dark. But I like dark guitar sounds...they don't all have to be bright and warm. Now, to balance the darkness of the guitars I like a really warm bass. I'd bring the bass up a little and add some more low end to it.

Vocals sound good. Nice voice. I don't like a ton of verb on vocals. But, this song seems to be begging for a bit more.

Drums - yeah...what's already been said. shakers and hand rhythm would sound great with this too.

I also imagine an epic ending with loud, busy drums, electric guitars (of course tons of delay because that's what all church music has)...sounds cool!

Could you post one without any drums and the tempo, and you might get something.

I think the guitars have plenty of sparkle. They're a little dark. But I like dark guitar sounds...they don't all have to be bright and warm. Now, to balance the darkness of the guitars I like a really warm bass. I'd bring the bass up a little and add some more low end to it.

Vocals sound good. Nice voice. I don't like a ton of verb on vocals. But, this song seems to be begging for a bit more.

Drums - yeah...what's already been said. shakers and hand rhythm would sound great with this too.

I also imagine an epic ending with loud, busy drums, electric guitars (of course tons of delay because that's what all church music has)...sounds cool!

Could you post one without any drums and the tempo, and you might get something.

Bass is something that I usually have trouble with, most likely because my mixing space stinks.

Shakers I can do, but what are you talking about by "hand rhythm"?

I will definitley post one with drums. Good idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

This sounded like the Rhodes had been taken out...or maybe it was the crappy headphones I was listening. Either way, I've got some ideas to hash out tomorrow that don't involve the Rhodes.

I thought the guitars sounded nice. Good warm tone. I'm hearing a lot of noise - pick hitting the body, maybe someone shuffling in their chair, etc.

Singing voice is nice. A little harsh every now and then. Maybe a real thin EQ notch somewhere around 2800hz might be nice.

harmony vocals would be nice (I guess there are a few near the end). The song needs something extra - there is just too much of the same thing throughout.

Bass is pretty boomy. Sounds like too much energy at maybe 80hz or so.

Thanks guys. Great feedback. I'll probably work on it tomorrow night and try some of the changes. And I agree...it needs something.

And there was a squeeky chair. :facepalm: Good ears.

Back