Check Out the New Joint

song

hey im new to this jst learning myself, i dig the beat, but i must say the piano in the beginning becomes a bit annoying through out the song, have you tried to fade it out a bit after the intro, so its there jst not so up front? and i hope once i get my songs posted your maybe come check mine out and give me sum insite peace
LDYLEE

I would have to say dropp thi piano in the mix just a little. I think if you used a real mutted trumpet it would improve the sound. It sounds to synthesized. I would bring it up in the mix because it is barely heard. The beat idea is quite nice tho.

Lovin that party anthem the only thing is the horns again. real horns would set your projects the f*** off. I could see ridin out to this joint.

But of course as usual i could be wrong, its just my opinion.
peep my new joint

My new one

Lee,

"Party Anthem" is a real nice idea, could be a banger if some changes were made. Nice intro. I think the horn section is okay, but could use some filling out. Adding some strings and individual horn sounds would really make that section come alive. Real sampled instruments would be beneficial if possible.

I'm liking the voice samples you have in the verses, not too big on the "C' mon" in the hook section though. Bass and kick sound tight, although I'm listening in headphones. I like the change ups in the hi-hat pattern.

I'm not hearing the piano problem Soundboy was talking about. Maybe it was the pizzicato patch you have going on in the verses. I actually like that line, it works well.

I also listened to "Muted" again. The noise is gone!!! Sounds good.

Nice work man. What are you using?

Stray

Stray,

I think Soundboy and Lydee are referring to the piano in "Muted". As far as the horns go in both tracks, they ARE all samples of real instruments. Albeit, free soundfonts dl'ed from the net. Maybe I need to splurge and BUY some decent horn samples.

The changes you refer to in "Party Anthem" would be 1) getting the horns to sound fuller and more real 2) adding some strings and 3) getting rid of the scratching in the hook.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for the props on "Muted".

Believe it or not, I use Fruityloops. Lotta cats think it's weak for Hip Hop. They think it's only for dance and techno or that it sounds plastic. That's because they don't know how to use it or limit themselves to the effects and samples that it comes with. I've been a registered user for about 4 years now.

I used it only as a glorified drum machine (which it was in the beginning) in house and dance productions. But now I use it combined with lots of different soft synths and samplers/soundfont players. I find that I don't need anything, else (for the time being).

Now if I only had a good pair of monitors.

lee miran said:
As far as the horns go in both tracks, they ARE all samples of real instruments. Albeit, free soundfonts dl'ed from the net. Maybe I need to splurge and BUY some decent horn samples.

The changes you refer to in "Party Anthem" would be 1) getting the horns to sound fuller and more real 2) adding some strings and 3) getting rid of the scratching in the hook.

Exactly. With acoustic instruments though you really need to have multiple samples and various velocities in order to achieve realistic results. A trumpet, for instance, does not have the same sound when played softly as opposed to loudly. One sample could not possibly emulate this so unless you plan on using lines with little or no dynamic changes one sample just will not cut it. This is also true for convincing staccato/legato effects.

I have always tried to beat around the bush because of the time and effort needed to develop convincing acoustic instrument samples. But in doing so, I have realized that using presets and/or layering presets in most cases will lead to synthetic sounding acoustic parts. Recently I have begun collecting and assembling acoustic multisamples and putting together multinstruments. Just today I put the finishing touches on a timpani multisample that will blow your head off, completely realistic. Yeah, it's a pain in the ass, but I'm finding it to be well worth it.

FYI, all the sounds I'm using for this collection were downloaded for free from the net.

lee miran said:
Believe it or not, I use Fruityloops. Lotta cats think it's weak for Hip Hop. They think it's only for dance and techno or that it sounds plastic. That's because they don't know how to use it or limit themselves to the effects and samples that it comes with. I've been a registered user for about 4 years now.

I used it only as a glorified drum machine (which it was in the beginning) in house and dance productions. But now I use it combined with lots of different soft synths and samplers/soundfont players. I find that I don't need anything, else (for the time being).

Now if I only had a good pair of monitors.

Yeah, I'm pretty suprised with Fruity Loops myself. One of the studios in my building has a producer who uses Fruity Loops only and the tracks he comes up with are unbelieveable.

If you want to amass a sample/soundfont library check this link out. It's a portal for most of the large sample sites out there. Good luck.

www.samplearena.com

Stray

Back