Check out my mixing setup and see if I am missing anything? Wiring diagram attached.

JLondon

Cat Herder
I think I finally figured out this mixing/recording setup pretty well. Here is my setup I did a wiring diagram of it (attached). I am asking for any feedback and also posting the diagram, maybe it can help someone else figure things out. Things I learned about this setup are:

1) The +4db out from the mixer are too hot for the Scarlett inputs, even on instrument. The rec out -10db works beautifully.

2) Splitting the rec out from the mixer allows me to run my computer speakers (rca only) without having to change the audio source in the computer settings.

3) This setup allows for recording or Karaoke playing/mixing along with whatever the computer is playing.

My question I have is: Why am I not getting a feedback or echo-back loop since I am running the output from the Scarlett right back into the mixer? And the output from the mixer back into the scarlett? It seems to work fine but I am not sure why I am not getting a weird loop problem? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Gear:
Yamaha MG82cx
Scarlett 2i2
Computer with Reaper
2 mics, Elec guitar, keyboard, Acoustic guitar
Behringer Ultra DI Pro
mixer2.jpeg

If it aint broke...I would crack on and be happy that you don't have that problem.
Have you tried cranking up the levels to find a bit of feedback?

UPDATE: I did find some latency/loop problem this morning, very noticable in the mic, so I guess I cant do this after all... I didn't suspect I could, I just didn't hear it at first or didn't have it loud enough as you mentioned. I have to break that loop somewhere.

Why don't you forget the splitters and come out from your monitor outs to the Bose? Control the volume from the monitor control dial.

Just tried some 1/4 to rca cables I had and the monitor out sounds better to the Bose- the level is better it is cleaner and louder. Thanks alot for the tip.

So basically I have learned that to play a computer/instrument mix through the Roland main speaker I hook up the return from the Scarlett to the mixer. To record instruments and computer I hook up the REC OUT to the Scarlett and disconnect the return.

I use my mixer fro inputs to the interface and return for the monitors. Just like you have yours, without splitters.

One of my constant carps to noobs on forums is that they should get some practical electronics knowledge under their bonce. That -10dBV unbalanced feed to the 2i2 just needs a DPDT switch in a tin to make the system far more user friendly.

Switches up to 4 pole DT are readily available and with these you can make interlock systems that allow "Play/Record" but no possibility of feedback. ...Other useful passive gadgets are:

Pot in a tin. Can be mono or stereo. Include an earth lift switch and RF proofing and it can be used for "re-amping".

Attenuator in a tin: +4dBu down to -10dBV (about 12dB ) can be useful.

Phase flip: Fit with XLR and TRS jack.

1:1 transformer(s) in a tin with ground lift and RF stop.

Dave.

I like the 4 pole switch idea Dave, thanks. Great tips too. I think I'll make something like your 4 pole idea to get both the REC and RETURN all on one switch.

Back