Check my connections?

rkmase

I know you all love this game, but I think I'm really starting to get the grasp of balanced/unbalanced, line level, instrument level, etc.

Using this mixer: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Soundcraft-COMPACT-4-Mixer?sku=630925

Which has a mic-in and an mic-in (instrument-in w/DI on), also has both balanced (trs) and unbalanced (rca) out

so, I could:

mic and direct

guitar > amp (line-out)> instrument-in
and
amp mic > mic-in

OR

duel mic

guitar > amp < amp mic x2 > mic-in x2

OR

and this is the one i'm confused on - could the mixer be used to jam with 2 guitars on one amp?

guitar 1 > instrument-in > balanced out > amp
......................................^
guitar 2 > external-DI > mic-in

what amp are you talking about? I'm confused as to the "amp-mic" you're refering to.

if you are going guitar-->amp (line out) you would plug into the line in of the mixer (Input one)...not the instrument in. Instrument in is for Hi-impedance instruments, like direct off the guitar.
Also, you don't want to plug the mixer outs into the amp either...another impedance mismatch. The amp is looking for a Hi-Z input.

With regards to running two signals into an amp...not sure if it would work, I'm not a guitarist.

what amp are you talking about? I'm confused as to the "amp-mic" you're refering to.

Ahh yeah. sorry. This amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...ix_ad30vt_30w_guitar_combo?full_sku=102640802

and by "amp-mic" I meant a mic'd amp. The amp's mic. Bad wording, I know.

if you are going guitar-->amp (line out) you would plug into the line in of the mixer (Input one)...not the instrument in. Instrument in is for Hi-impedance instruments, like direct off the guitar.

Alright, so the mixer has two mic in's (one of which can be turned to an instrument-in with a DI switch). Amp goes to mic-in?

Thanks for the input.

Alright, so the mixer has two mic in's (one of which can be turned to an instrument-in with a DI switch). Amp goes to mic-in?

pretty much
If you want to plug straight from the guitar into the mixer (via 1/4")....you'd use input 2 and switch it to instrument.
Microphones would plug in there like normal (via XLR)
And if you wanted to go from the line out of the amp (or from any other line level device), you'd plug into either channel 1 or channel 2 (via 1/4")...and make sure the Hi-Z button is not pressed on channel 2.

Ahh hah! Thanks. Perfect sense. I kept thinking mic-level, because they were mic inputs... but theyre LINE level inputs because they have pre-amps. Der.

Anyone know about sharing an amp with two guitars via a mixer?

rkmase said:
Ahh hah! Thanks. Perfect sense. I kept thinking mic-level, because they were mic inputs... but theyre LINE level inputs because they have pre-amps. Der.

close, but not quite. The mic inputs have preamps in them too...not just the line (although line inputs don't necessarily always need to go through an amplifier). Microphones need preamplification because their signals are so weak, so we use the preamp to bring it up to line leve...line level inputs (CD players, effects units, etc.) are already at line level, so no amplification is necessary.
I think what's confusing you is those Neutrix connectors they have on the mixer (with the XLR and 1/4" inputs in one connector). Two different signals can still be sent in there. However, when you plug a line level device in the 1/4" slot, it takes a different path before it goes to the preamp. It first hits a pad which decreases the signal -15dB. You can see this on the system block diagram in the manual.

Back