Cheapest way to get 24 usable channels?

Spaaceboy

I'm looking to upgrade from a PreSonus Studio Project to something that can get me 24 decent preamp/conversion channels. I'm mostly looking at a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, which would get me 2 quality variable preamps to use for guitars, vocals, etc, and 6 additional 'vanilla' preamps for whatever else. Then, 2 ADAT ports to connect a couple Focusrite Octopre MKIIs for 16 additional 'vanilla' channels. That would run somewhere around 1500 bucks, which is doable, but I'm looking for other options. I also don't like having some of the mic inputs on the front of the units, but that's an aesthetic issue. How else could I get 24 channels on a budget? I was also looking at the Behringer ADA8000, and finding some method of linking three of them together, but I'm not sure how yet. Any suggestions?

There is currently no interface that will offer you 24 mic preamps and conversion in one box, that I know of. Not at a reasonable price, anyway. The MOTU 24i/o has got 24 balanced line-ins but obviously you'll want to have separate preamps and that will cost more money. The best, cheapest option will obviously be something like the liquid saffire 56 with two 8-channel preamps on the ADAT protocol. You could get the Presonus or Behringer 8-channel boxes which will probably be cheapest.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Back