cheap VSTi? (Orchestral, string, choir, etc...)

complexprocess

Anyone know of free or cheap VSTis that are orchestral or have strings and sound at least somewhat decent? I'm not looking for great quality here. I'm mostly looking to play around and record some black metal (If you're not familiar with the genre I still welcome your suggestions). Choir oohs and aahs might be handy to, but sounding authentic isn't all that important. I guess I just want suggestions of some cheap VST instruments that aren't the typical techno fare (it's just not my style) to learn on. Thanks for your time.

The mother of all VST sites has everything from free to paid plug-ins and you can easily search:

www.kvr-vst.com

You might want to also consider using Soundfonts (high-quality sampled sounds). Lots of high-quality free ones out there at sites like www.hammersound.net

(If you don't have a Soundblaster card to play soundfonts, check out Bismark's BS series of VSTi soundfont players. I use the BS-16 and its great with huge soundfonts on a 24-bit card. http://homepage.mac.com/bismark/ )

I don't know what you consider cheap but there is a host of cheap(er) orchestral libraries being released at the moment.

Garritan Personal Orchestra - runs on Kompakt.

East West/Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra Silver Edition (i think that's what it's called) - also Kompakt

Steinberg owns a company called wizoo that makes all kinds of budget samples including some orchestral stuff.

Also Vienna Symphonic Library has released some smaller packages that run on GigaStudio and Emagic's ESX sampler.

Hope this helps,
Daedalus

Sampletank also has a free version of thier product. They also have several intrument packs for free.

Worth a look. Ooh choir, ooh/aah choir, piano, bass guitar...didnt download the strings myself so I dont know what they sound like...the rest is good tho

Back