cheap vocal setup

cpc

i dont know where to ask it so i thought id ask it here.

does anyone know any decent cheap vocal setups for band practice? we're having problems being able to hear vocals during practice due to the feedback that happens before we can get it loud enough. but we cant afford an expensive pa or setup.

mic=sm58

well we were running it through a mixer, to a guitar amp, because thats all we have. im not sure how much i have or am willing to spend until i see the different options, but i dont know what to look for. in the past whenever i jammed with a band they already had a nice pa and setup.

Try adjusting the EQ, lowering some of the bands which should allow you to increase the gain without feedback

-jeffrey

Is the main problem the singer not being able to hear him/herself? We had awful problems with this to the point of the singer ready to leave... then I sprung for a set of in-ear monitors for her for xmas and the problem was solved!
They're not super-cheap, but seeing as you already have the mixer, it would be a much cheaper solution than buying a proper PA setup...

Dr Biscuits said:
Is the main problem the singer not being able to hear him/herself? We had awful problems with this to the point of the singer ready to leave... then I sprung for a set of in-ear monitors for her for xmas and the problem was solved!
They're not super-cheap, but seeing as you already have the mixer, it would be a much cheaper solution than buying a proper PA setup...

its actually the exact opposite... its just loud enough so i can hear myself, which is the main thing...but no one else can hear me.

riznich said:
its actually the exact opposite... its just loud enough so i can hear myself, which is the main thing...but no one else can hear me.

Ah I see...
Well, short of buying more gear the only obvious thing I could add to what's been said is to experiment with changing the position of your amp/mic to avoid feedback...
Next stop is ebay for a power amp and set of PA speakers :)

ah alright, i'd be willing to buy more gear but probably not more than 100 bucks or so right now and im guessing it would be better to just save up for a good pa setup. i guess ill just experiment with it some more and hope i can get a decent volume until i can afford something better, thanks for the suggestions. if anyone has anything else please let me know.

my old band (a 5-piece metal group) used to practice, with all our gear, in a less than 10x12 ft. trapezoidal room. we could barely move without running into each other, and suffice to say, we had feedback issues as well.

i think OhSh1rt's suggestion is a great one, when we were using a guitar amp for vocals early on, we found that dialing off the "high" band on the EQ helped keep the feeback down (but muddies up the vocals a bit).

also, try to orient things such that the mic is not aimed in the direction of the amp that it's running through. if you can, orient the mic slightly behind or just to the side of the amp it's running through. if you're handholding the mic, experiment with holding it differently. our singer found that he got a lot more feedback if he cupped the mic ball in his hand (heh) than if he held it normally.

also, the least popular but probably best option... less volume. much easier to balance the instruments with the vocals when the amps are less cranked.

hope it helps!

Back