Cheap slanted racks for home studio?

Spaaceboy

I'm looking for cheap slanted racks, about 16-20 space. I'ev seen the Raxxess ERS 12-8 and it's almost exactly what I'm looking for, although the ERS-18 also looks good. The 12-8 has vertical 8U on the bottom, and 12U slanted on top, while the ERS-18 only has 18U slanted.

ER2.jpg

These Raxxess racks are at the right price, but I'm concerned with quality. I'm looking at dirt cheap furniture, but I still want the best of the low end. Are there other companies out there making similar racks for people on a budget?

Also, I'm not willing to build it myself... that's an expected suggestion when it comes to budget studio furniture, but it's not for me.

Everyone wants the best bang for their buck, but I don't think you will find cheaper then raxxess.
It'll do what you need it to do.

I just did a search and found them on sale for $110.50
There is absolutely no beating that price.

The Raxxess and Middle-Atlantic stuff is fine...

Yes, it's cheap particle board and MDF and what not. It won't take a hit from a linebacker, no doubt. But structurally speaking, it's going to be the gear that makes it structurally sound.

Just make sure they're deep enough if you have gear that requires it (especially with slant-racks). and be sure to have at least a few "blanks" on hand if you're not filling them up pretty well (again, adds to the structure).

If you want cheaper, go hit Guitarded Center, buy a set of rack rails, and a sheet of 3/4" birch plywood. Chop it up, and make your own custom sized, custom shaped rack. And the plywood will be quite stronger than MDF or particle board.

The plywood should cost you around $40, the rack rails $15.

If you want cheaper, go hit Guitarded Center, buy a set of rack rails, and a sheet of 3/4" birch plywood. Chop it up, and make your own custom sized, custom shaped rack. And the plywood will be quite stronger than MDF or particle board.

I would need a saw, hand tools, sawhorses, and not to mentioned a space for woodworking. I couldn't practically drag the wood down on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building (it's a home "studio" for myself) and get to work. I might be able to find time after work in our shop, but then there's the problem of fitting it inside a '93 Corolla with only three functioning doors, hah. It's worth the 100-150 bucks to me to get a Raxxess RTA instead, I was only curious about other companies with similar products, and the stability of these frames. The comments and reviews seem decent though.

The Raxxess and Middle-Atlantic stuff is fine...

Yes, it's cheap particle board and MDF and what not. It won't take a hit from a linebacker, no doubt. But structurally speaking, it's going to be the gear that makes it structurally sound.

Just make sure they're deep enough if you have gear that requires it (especially with slant-racks). and be sure to have at least a few "blanks" on hand if you're not filling them up pretty well (again, adds to the structure).
I don't mind MDF if the connections are solid enough not to topple. If the Raxxess is really good enough, then that's all I need. I've seen some negative comments about the company before, which is why I wanted to find similar products elsewhere. I'm going to load the bottom with drawers, but the rest is going to be full (I also have a lot of rack mount guitar equipment). I might grab a couple for further expansion actually, with some blanks.

Everyone wants the best bang for their buck, but I don't think you will find cheaper then raxxess.
It'll do what you need it to do.

I just did a search and found them on sale for $110.50
There is absolutely no beating that price.
Where's this $110 sale? The cheapest I've found was about 140, IIRC.

Also, thanks to everyone for the help!

What I was going to suggest^^^

If they aren't leaving your studio you might want to look into the free standing rack frames - they are just a simple metal frame.. very inexpensive

RMT254-xlarge.jpg

If they aren't leaving your studio you might want to look into the free standing rack frames - they are just a simple metal frame.. very inexpensive

I have one of those, but it is on wheels and the angle is variably adjustable from vertical to horizontal. Surprisingly sturdy once the gear is installed. The open access is ideal for me until I get around to wiring my patch bays. And I believe it was only $60. Comes disassembled, so shipping was not an issue. I can't remember where I found it tho. I'll search around.

Here it is. But It must have been on sale when I got mine.

Cheaper at Amazon. :D

Homemade Slanted Rack

I built a rack similar to the middle one in your photo (see below).
Mine has 24 rack spaces total.
12 top and 12 bottom.
Primary pieces are two 3/4" X 16" X 48" glued panels that are currently about $16 each at Lowes.
It would probably cost about $50 or so to build plus whatever was spent on rack rail.
I'm planning on making another but without the slant.
I need a big top panel for my turntable.

DIYRackReduced2.jpg

PS-I, too, have one of those steel racks! Sits under my (DIY) Workstation/Desk.
It holds a power amp for my Auralex Monitors and a Power Strip for most of my equipment on the desk.
Low-cost but does the job! My Mantra.

Last edited:
I have one of those, but it is on wheels and the angle is variably adjustable from vertical to horizontal. Surprisingly sturdy once the gear is installed. The open access is ideal for me until I get around to wiring my patch bays. And I believe it was only $60. Comes disassembled, so shipping was not an issue. I can't remember where I found it tho. I'll search around.

Here it is. But It must have been on sale when I got mine.

Cheaper at Amazon. :D

The basic one without the wheel base is $32.50 shipped on ebay

Pro 12 Space 19" Studio Recording Table Top Rack Stand | eBay

I only have two rack units so I don't really need one of these... yet... :)

Back