cheap sb live

seriousturtle

is it possible, since i'm just starting out on desktop recording, to use and get away with using a sound blaster live sound card? how much difference would it make using that card compared to say, a good yamaha or echo card? if i can get away with it, what's the easiest, cheapest, and best way to plug my rode nt-2 into it?

~the turtle

You CAN use the sblive! to get started recording, but using the onboard A/D converters on the card you're probably going to get marginal results. I guess it depends on what you're wanting to do. If you have an NT-2, you probably have an outboard mixer, right? Just send the outs into the line input jack and see how that works for you. For just a little more than the cost of the live! however, you can probably get a better recording card. You can check out the tunes I recorded with my live! @ http://www.mp3.com/gregbrogan
I used the digital input though. YMMV.

The NT-2 deserves a decent A/D converter even if you eventually store that data via the digital in on the SB.
But add up the cost of the converter and the SB and you have a Darla 24.....
What are you using for a phantom power supply or pre-amp?

You can get away with it...but

Of course you can get away with recording with a SB Live, but it might be alot more difficult difficult than using a card that is more dedicated to recording (with better A/D converters). The SB live is made for games and midi processing more than sound recording. There are actually better cheap sound cards like the sb live that sound better than the sb live. check out the turtle beach cards. also you will most likely get higher static levels than when using a better sound card. i do recommend getting a midi man product, like the m audio series for your recording. They are very low cost and have crystal clear recording sound and easy to set up. I have a delta 44 and im VERY happy with it. check it out at http://www.midiman.com

Thats all i have to say right now.

the pre amp on an SB Live! sucks giant bollocks. now if you go into it at line level it is VERY acceptable.

Back