Cheap Recorder

SG1965

I want a 4 track recorder for cheap, with multiple inputs, 4 preferably. I dont want to spend a lot of money. Also, what is the cheapest way to mike a drumset. I want to be able to pan it, but money is most important.

do you want to go digital or analog, and do you need to get it to your computer, do you have any mics now, need more info

i dont have any mics currently. whith guitar bass and vocals i can record with the line out on the amp (its meant for it) and i probably want to go analog since its generally cheaper

If you're looking for analogue do a search on ebay for either Tascam or Fostex (if you're looking for a cassette based system), or those two plus Otari (if you're willing to go R2R).

The Tascam 644 is probably the ultimate 4 track portastudio, but its midi controlled signal routing can get a little frustrating. You might also like to consider the 688, which is the 8 track (but still on cassette) version. For a fun introduction to the world of R2Rs and hernias why not try out a Tascam 388! :D

I can't speak for the quality of Fostex gear, but I've liked the Tascams I've played with.

How do you record vocals using a line out on an amp? Do you stand and shout at the speaker? :confused:

Back