Cheap overhead drum mics or MC012's...

WATYF

...happier than you.
I've currently got an Oktava MC012 that I use for mic'ing my guitar... I figure I can get another one of those and use the both of them for drum overheads...

or...

I keep hearing aboot really dirt cheap overhead mics that people say are actually pretty good.

So what route would you go? And what are these cheapy overheads I keep hearing about?

WATYF

Oddly enuff I use a pair of MXL 2001 for my overheads. Bout the only thing they are good for and they work well for that application :)

WATYF said:
I keep hearing aboot

Are you Canadian?

(bad joke...)

I would go with another Oktava if you're on the cheap. They're fine as overhead mics anyhow.

War

The Oktavas are great!!
I just got some from a friend. 2 for $185. See if you can make friends with someone who has some, he/she may make you a deal!
The sound great on my Tama Starclassic Birch kit with Zildjian cymbals.

The best inexpensive mics we're found on drum OH's are:

Red5 Audio RV8
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK319

All are large condensers and all outperformed inexpensive small condensers on drum OH's. More info on our drum OH mic tests here.

Dot said:
The best inexpensive mics we're found on drum OH's are:

Red5 Audio RV8
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK319

All are large condensers and all outperformed inexpensive small condensers on drum OH's. More info on our drum OH mic tests here.
I dunno... I've had different experiences. I've mic'ed a kit with SM81's and it sounded pretty nice... I've also mic'ed my kit with SP C1s and it was just "OK". I already have a C1 (and so does my brother) so I can still go that route if I want to, but I've heard a lot of good things aboot the MC012s, and I've heard samples of a stereo pair of them being used on acoustic guitar and that sounded great, so I'll give them a shot.

I have an MC012 now which I use for acoustic, and I get decent results with it. Oddyl enough, one of my first LDC purchases (if not my very first) was the MK319. I definitely didn't like it on my voice (it was going to be for vocals at the time), but I didn't bother trying it out on my kit.

WATYF

Back