Cheap ok sound card?

Monkey

Cabin boy
I know this kind of thing gets asked a lot, but until there's a well-indexed FAQ...

I am on a tight budget. I'm looking for a sound card in the $100 range to do multitrack recording. I know that's low but this will go on the credit card and I'm a college student.

I want to use my little Behringer Eurorack mixer and go from the tape out (RCA) into the sound card. I have no need of MIDI, just to record decent wavs from analog signals. I know jack about technical considerations, but I'm hearing that a Sound Blaster will suck and I don't want mouse clicks or unnecessary noise to come through on my recording. I also want something that can do "normal" sound without any problems, i.e. play mp3s and game sound without my needing a seperate card.

It seems like all the sound cards out there are either $800 or made for video games, so I'm getting consternated.

My best bets so far: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for $79.95, which doesn't seem to have RCA inputs or anything but 1/8 jacks really.
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/santacruz/indetail.asp

Next up is the MAudio Audiophile 2496, which seems to have everything I want and a bit more (MIDI), and goes for $150 at Zzounds.com, which is more than I want to pay but if it's my only option I'll do it. I notice it comes with Cakewalk Express, which might be helpful. I plan on getting some kind of Cakewalk somewhere, got a buddy who might burn it for me...

Am I missing anything here? Price is my priority here but I don't want something that will suck either.:confused:

Monkey said:
I know this kind of thing gets asked a lot, but until there's a well-indexed FAQ...

I am on a tight budget. I'm looking for a sound card in the $100 range to do multitrack recording. I know that's low but this will go on the credit card and I'm a college student.

I want to use my little Behringer Eurorack mixer and go from the tape out (RCA) into the sound card. I have no need of MIDI, just to record decent wavs from analog signals. I know jack about technical considerations, but I'm hearing that a Sound Blaster will suck and I don't want mouse clicks or unnecessary noise to come through on my recording. I also want something that can do "normal" sound without any problems, i.e. play mp3s and game sound without my needing a seperate card.

It seems like all the sound cards out there are either $800 or made for video games, so I'm getting consternated.

My best bets so far: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for $79.95, which doesn't seem to have RCA inputs or anything but 1/8 jacks really.
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/santacruz/indetail.asp

Next up is the MAudio Audiophile 2496, which seems to have everything I want and a bit more (MIDI), and goes for $150 at Zzounds.com, which is more than I want to pay but if it's my only option I'll do it. I notice it comes with Cakewalk Express, which might be helpful. I plan on getting some kind of Cakewalk somewhere, got a buddy who might burn it for me...

Am I missing anything here? Price is my priority here but I don't want something that will suck either.:confused:

The Audiophile or the Echo Mia would be your best bet. The Mia has no MIDI, but does have 1/4" jacks.

Just as an FYI, admitting to using Warez in these parts is a quick way for ppl to give you a cold shoulder and not answer questions you may have.

For the most part ppl here take DAW stuff seriously and pay money for what they use.

Well the only sound software I have right now is Multiquence, which I paid to register, and if my card comes with Cakewalk Express I'll use that. (Assuming it's good; anyone know?)

CompUSA runs that Santa Cruz for $49 often so look for that......its a very good card, probably the best in its class of consumer cards.....it wont suck.....check www.pricewatch.com ...im seeing it right now for $58 shipped......

the next step up is the Audiophile.....www.digitalproaudio.com has it for $139.....have someone who will ship it for free match that price.....

Thanks for the help, guys. I decided to suck it up and buy the Audiophile, which should be on its way to me soon. I'll have to put in a few extra hours in the coal mine, but if it works properly, I think it will be worth it.

:D

By the way, if a FAQ is being put together, a list of cards with their respective quality and price levels and a list of sites to shop for them on would be very helpful I'm sure.

Back