cheap mixer for routing only? works well?

Halion

I just typed a really long thread but then figured you don't want to/need to read all that shit so here's the short version:

My preamp -> soundcard -> headphone amp / monitors setup is giving me a headache, routing wise. Direct monitoring is posing a problem (L input = L output only etc.), and I hate having to replug when using other input/output gear (preamp/monitors/headamp etc.).

So I'm thinking of these small behri or yamaha mixer. Would it be possible to just use the routing guts of these, and leave the pres/eq/fx whatever for that they are? Will my signal be degraded if a little bit? I'm just looking for the option to route some stuff, nothing has to be done to the signal. Will that work by using just insert points and bussing options?

I use a Tascam TM-D1000 for monitoring routing, and I have 2 headphone amps and a stereo amp/speakers connected to it (my monitors are connected to the main mixer). You can find these on eBay for around $250US (I traded a cassette deck for this one).

A better alternative is the Presonus Central Station. Around 5 bills, but it fits in a single rack space (I have a separate rack dedicated to the Tascam and the stereo amp) and will handle 3 stereo outs, and has a headphone jack as well. Not only that, but it has meters. If I had known about the Presonus I would have forgotten the Tascam, which is overkill for the routing job.

lpdeluxe said:
I use a Tascam TM-D1000 for monitoring routing, and I have 2 headphone amps and a stereo amp/speakers connected to it (my monitors are connected to the main mixer). You can find these on eBay for around $250US (I traded a cassette deck for this one).

A better alternative is the Presonus Central Station. Around 5 bills, but it fits in a single rack space (I have a separate rack dedicated to the Tascam and the stereo amp) and will handle 3 stereo outs, and has a headphone jack as well. Not only that, but it has meters. If I had known about the Presonus I would have forgotten the Tascam, which is overkill for the routing job.

That tascam seems like an awefully big chunk of wires for just some routing. Thanks for the input though! :)

Halion said:
yamaha mixer. Would it be possible to just use the routing guts of these, and leave the pres/eq/fx whatever for that they are? Will my signal be degraded if a little bit?

I got a Yamaha MG10 last nite for 100 bucks US. It seems very quiet so far, I havent used the pre-amps yet. My old spirit mixer made more noise, so far I am extremely pleased with the Yamaha and I dig the small size for my crowded desktop studio.

patchbay?

if your'e trying to integrate other pre's and stuff into your signal chain, you may also need a patchbay....

that will mess with your signal much less.

I user a berri mixer, all of the outs of my 002 go to the 16 channels (8 mono, 8 stereo) and the monitor outs go to a 2-track input. It's really useful for headphone mixes, i can send each instrument to a seperate channel and fiddle from there.

Back