cheap midi surface control for transport?

Yadi

I am using Sonar, have a Roland e-drumkit about 10 feet from the computer. Ideally, for tracking, I would have transport control from the drumkit...I rarely get it on the first take and am always standing up, climbing around back to the keyboard to undo, rewind and restart. Pretty cumbersome.

All I need is transport contol and maybe a macro'd button to "undo and reset". Anyone know of possible exisiting solutions? Is DYI projects an option? One thing is for certain, I don't need faders and a bunch of redundant controls found on JL Cooper solutions....I'm looking to spend less than $200

Thanks,

Yadi

If sonar will allow you to make custom macros then you could use any computer device to control it. Most joystick and mouse software will allow you to map their controls to standard keyboard buttons. For instance joystick trigger 1 could be mapped to keyboard ENTER.

That way you could use any fancy $40 dollar game controller as your remote control. Most joysticks have at least 4 buttons plus a slider and the 8axis joystick for a lot of options.

Back