Cheap DC-DC converters tapped off +/-15VDC rails? (PSU for Soviet synth)

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
Hello,

I have a USSR build string machine (sort of a Crumar Orchestrator/Multiman-S knockoff) with a bad power supply. The PSU is complicated and zener regulated. I've actually purchased NOS Soviet parts to rebuild it. But:

I'd like to replace with a universal PSU and an IEC mains connector.

The PSU supplies

+15VDC
-15VDC
+3VDC
+3VDC
-3VDC (give or take)

I had thought about getting a cheap eBay LM317/LM337 board for the 15 volt rails and then tap the from positive supply a couple of "bucking" converters for the 3 volt rails and use a Triad VPP36-1560 (which I have on hand) which has dual primaries and two 16 volt secondaries which can be wired as 16-0-16 for the +/-15v supplies. I've found several DC-DC converters that will give me the positive and negative 3 volts. The LM317/LM337 boards are fairly conventional. Am I OK in using the buck converters like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/295509745182?hash=item44cdc0de1e:g:73cAAOSwkFpj3hZs&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwHuKobOcFq3lsU4Hc/NenVCH5lzim+MBJtrVFzugIAof0LC1Y1ojk99Lg41rnQIS/Nk+qI5CKsqIw3cwdcPPYBrOwhbQKVBm/X4mDZoBeu2lzxejZDzChdNHS3JGBOeIN0p/iM9naovEChD48RUZZA+El0LOkxcWCc/JMsh3eyUlPj404quNu2JC99gnimeZMTAGNzAOUKMU6YzvyAMhzcreVB8L9Ut2sLlChd4YfpBzbABX9JCpa8mefCAV6B84zQ==|tkp:Bk9SR_CYlZu4Yg tapped off the +15v rail? Or even two buck converters off the +15v rail and a LM337 I found online off the -15v rail?

I've heard that the switch mode supplies can be noisy. As an aside I did use a laptop supply to power a 6418 tube distortion box, and had to add extra filtering as it was really noisy.

Morning Blue, first off, if you can get a look at the section on power supplies in Douglas Self's book 'Small Signal Audio Design' lot of good tips there.

I have messed with small encapsulated DC-DC converters and not had any RF breakthrough. I am well acquainted with a Blackstar HT pedal that uses a 'boost' circuit to derive 300V from about 22V. That has a lot of stuff crammed inside but 'hash' was never a problem.

I would suggest a logical shielding and grounding policy. The whole circuit should be encased in metal and that mains grounded. Do not use THAT ground to supply the circuits, run +ve and _-ve to each section right back to the supply.
You can wind your own inductors on ferrite rings to make some LC filters but you may not need them.

Dave.

Morning Blue, first off, if you can get a look at the section on power supplies in Douglas Self's book 'Small Signal Audio Design' lot of good tips there.

I
Thanks!

I also just realized the negative 3v is for driving LEDs I think the cheaper one should be ok

Back