Cheap Condenser's

2infamouz

How do you guys feel about cheap condenser mics? I have this weird notion that only dynamic mics should be relatively cheap, and tend to steer away from cheaper condensers, but I recently tried out a CAD GXL3000BP (its like ~$120) and was actually quite impressed with it. It has more features than most of my more expensive mics....Hi pass, 10db pad, and 3 different polar patterns and the sound isn't half bad. It's a little bright for my taste and has a strong proximity effect, but nothing good mic'ing technique and a little EQ can't fix.

Anyone else tried this mic or other lower end condensers that they've been impressed with??

Review if you wanted to check it out:
CAD GXL3000 Large Diaphragm Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone Review

Yeah, most low-end LDCs will be bright. Myself and a lot of other members here enjoy the MXL v67g...runs like $100-120 new and looks sexy :D Try one if you get the chance!

I have yet to find a mic that uses a 3 pin XLR pro grade connection which has not been useable. I feel like if you have a good preamp you can make almost anything work. I've got so much confidence in my preamp that I'm actually stepping backwards and purchasing a Cad M179. But what I really find odd is the sound of the cheap ribbon microphones. Everyone is so caught up on condensers but once you acquire a taste for the way ribbon mics sound after hearing so many condensers you may never want to go back.

There are some excellent cheap condensers out there and they continue to get better and more consistant. Condensers are by nature a brighter sound--or, as I prefer to think, dynamics are dull and lackiing top end detail.

The other thing to consider is that most dynamics are relatively low output and need a lot of clean gain in the pre amp. Many standard mic pres can't do this without adding noise.

I have yet to find a mic that uses a 3 pin XLR pro grade connection which has not been useable. I feel like if you have a good preamp you can make almost anything work. I've got so much confidence in my preamp that I'm actually stepping backwards and purchasing a Cad M179. But what I really find odd is the sound of the cheap ribbon microphones. Everyone is so caught up on condensers but once you acquire a taste for the way ribbon mics sound after hearing so many condensers you may never want to go back.
Nice I have the cad m179 too. It is a great underrated mic!

It may be worth looking at the Sontronics range.

Most inexpensive Chinese mics to tend to have a bright/harsh top end. Although Sontronics mics are manufactured in China, they are designed in the UK and the designer made great efforts to give them a smooth top end (he told me).

Well, a lot of us who have been hangin' in there for a while got Oktava MK219, MK319 and MK012 mics at GC closeouts for $50; MXL 603 and V63bp mics for $30, CAD M177, GXL3000, MXL 9090 mics and Joemeek JM37dp mics for $70 from MF SDOTD sales; matched pairs of Naiant mics for $44 and Karma Sivler Bullets for $1 and $5; etc.---and those were the new purchases.

Keep watching the skies.

Three inexpensive condensers that are I have found noteworthy and under $100:

Nady 960 (rebadged JM37dp) and SPC-10

MXL 9090 (A V67i without the green&gold cosmetics)

Paj
8^)

I have a pair of MXL V63MBP mics that I absolutely love, nice warm detailed mic been great for everything I have tried.

....and the sound isn't half bad.
I really cringe when people use this cliche.......it also implies that the sound is only half good. Not half bad? What about the other half?

Condensers are by nature a brighter sound
Disagree. Cheap condensors are by nature a brighter sound. Great condensors are not brighter by default. Telephones are by nature a brighter sound, but that doesn't make them good for recording, unless that is what fits your budget.

Try this....... limit yourself to cheap condensors that are not made in China. I would go for an AT 2020 to start out, or something similar. I have never been able to hear any difference between the cheap chinese made condensors. They are not cheap because they are trying to give you great sound for the lowest price. Well, then, why are they so cheap? you have to ask......

You also have to ask what kind of used condensor could you get for that same money? What kind of chinese condensor can you get for $180? I got a used AT4030 for that price a couple years ago. Which would you rather have?

I still think that the cheap sE (sE X1, sE 2200a, sE Z3300a) and Avantone (CK6 & CK7) mic's are fan-flippin-tastic!

Strangely enough, years ago i started my foray into LDC's with the Samson CO1. it wasn't awful but i always felt like i was missing something with it. Anyway, long story short, lent it to a friend for a couple of years and finally sold it to him (to help raise funds for new monitors at the time) and he still loves the thing and, to be fair to him, he played some of the stuff he's been using it on over the weekend and it sounds great. you definietly wouldn't know it was recorded using £40 mic! (although it looks like they cost more new now)

It's a bit of a generalisation to refer to "Chinese microphones" since the gear made there can vary from pretty poor to truly excellent.

At the bottom feeder level, there are factories making millions of diaphragms which they sell to anyone paying. Your American or British or European mic may well have exactly the same Chinese components inside at 10 other mics. Also, some of the cheaper mics may bear a distinct resemblance to several manufacturers. We had a post in here last week about a "new" Chinese mic that turned out to be a paint job and sticker different from ones already on the market.

However, at the other end of the market are companies like sE Electronics. They design their own mics, don't sub contract to anyone else and make truly excellent products. Chinese or not, they make world class microphones.

AT? Their higher range mics are made in Japan. Funnily enough, they just say "other oriental factories, not China" for their cheaper mics.

As for the phrase "brighter sound" personally I'm after a brighter sound. I find the popular big dynamics to be dull and lifeless. If you don't like the word "bright" how about "detailed"? "Harsh" I avoid but "bright" I actively go looking for. It just goes to show the difficulty of trying to use words to describe sounds.

I really cringe when people use this cliche.......it also implies that the sound is only half good. Not half bad? What about the other half?
Meh I cringe when people misinterpret what I say. I meant it's better than what i had anticipated for such a cheap mic. It really comes down to good preamps, good miking technique and experience , not the mic. There's obviously better mics than others but you can pull off a "fully good" recording with a cheap microphone alll day.

As for the phrase "brighter sound" personally I'm after a brighter sound. I find the popular big dynamics to be dull and lifeless. If you don't like the word "bright" how about "detailed"? "Harsh" I avoid but "bright" I actively go looking for. It just goes to show the difficulty of trying to use words to describe sounds.

Well said sir, i couldn't agree more :thumbs up:

Meh I cringe when people misinterpret what I say.
Well, then don't ever look sat your band mates on stage and say, "That wasn't half bad!"

I know I like to toy with words, and I like to split hairs, but trust me on this one. Teach yourself to quit saying that. If that phrase doesn't leave room for vast "misinterpretation" then I don't know what does. We have worked very hard and gone thru some intense "discussions" to get our band leader to stop saying that. It's like telling someone, "You are not insignificant!"

Back