Cheap Alternative Sound Treatment Panels

jeffmaher

1/4" presentation panels, 22"X28"
Lots of 12oz to 24oz styro cups.
Fiberglas batting.

Grab a fistfull of glass, stuff it into the cup. Glue-up the rim, and stick it on the panel. Fill the space available on the panel with the cups, rim touching rim.

About $4/panel, if you can't get free batting out of the trash, or save your McDonald's coffee cups. You could subistute cardboard for foam presentation panels...just stiffen the cardboard with a couple shade-sticks along a couple edges. That'd be made for the cost of the glue....which you can borrow. Maybe spray-paint it.
Hang like a picture on a string...one small brad will do...weighs about 1/2 lb.

Never saw this particular thing in years of searching for alternatives. Making several panels, now. Thought someone else might be able to use the idea.

Not a joke.

The diff between this and egg cartons is that , if you use 24oz cups, you'll have 6" deep of compacted fiberglas in each conical projection. The shape acts as a diffuser, the wads of encapsulated glass as an absorber.....

Another nice thing is that the glas is encapsulated....no flying fibers.

I think it'll do a very good job of cutting and diffusing midrange standing waves and some HF reflections. I'll let you know.

Ok, I didn't realise you had a problem with flutter echoes. I look forward to learning something from your before (installation) and after measurements.

Back