Cheap 2 channel interface

lumstar

I am looking to get an interface for my laptop (which does not have firewire) and my budget is somewhat limited. I am looking for a usb interface with 2 channels and preferably with ASIO supported drivers. I was looking at the M-Audio fast track, but it really has only one instrument input (I'm looking to record stereo from my mixer). I also looked at the Lexicon Alpha but it has received mixed reviews and dooesn't have ASIO low latency drivers.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Sub $100 is preferred.

Thanks,
Stephen

I've been researching this same question for the past few days, and ended up ordering the E-mu Tracker Pre USB 2.0 (for $140). Although if you don't need super quality, another that looked reasonable was the ART USB Dual Pre. It's USB 1.1, so 16-bit and I think 48KHz max. Looks like you can get one new for $80 on ebay.

The Tascam US-122/144 were my second choice after the E-mu. A 144 just went on ebay yesterday for under $100 including shipping, and the guy at Guitar Center recommended it too. He also said the cheap Lexicons have had a lot of problems, so I'd steer clear of that $80 one.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll make a decision in the next few days and post back on what I get and how I like it.

Back