Chattering Heads

riley357

HR MUSE
My D drive seems to have developed some kind of problem with the heads chattering. They just get locked in a "cha-cha-cha" thing. Sometimes it will quit on it's own, other times I can't shut the computer off from the desktop, have to use the power button.

I tried re-installing the drivers and formatting the drive but the problem persists.

Can this hard drive be saved???

Download a diagnostic tool from whoever the manufacturer is. Quantum, Maxtor, Seagate all have utilities that will tell you if your drive has developed a mechanical problem.

The download is small program, creates a boot floppy, boot off of that and run the tests.

Constant chattering is the first sign of drive failure. I suggest that if you have anything important on this drive, you back it up ASAP and then start investigating what the problem is or go out and buy a new drive.

The drive is going to die, and going to die soon. Get everything off of it right now.

Sometimes things like this will come and go for a while. Occasionally I've seen low level formats "fix" drives making weird noises, but it never lasted long. Most disk checking software will mark bad sectors on the drive, which can also make it appear as though the drive is "fixed", when the root problem is simply masked. There is nothing that software can do for you...clicking noises and/or drive respinning + lockups = mechanical problems...they may in some cases be caused by external factors, but once the drive starts to make noise, it shouldn't be salvaged.

If the drive is < 3 years old, then it is most likely still under warranty. All of the big manufacturers have very easy replacement procedures, and you can often get an RMA right online without any trouble.

If it is under warranty, it would help to take Emeric's suggestion and run some diagonstics on the drive (from the manufacturer's website), because in some cases they'll want you to (e.g. IBM kind of hassles you for information before giving you an RMA, whereas Maxtor doesn't require anything but filling out a form).

Remember, NOISE = DEATH. I have yet to find a case where a drive was making bad noises and it continued working or "fixed" itself. I've gone against my better judgement on this one (recently, in fact), and got burned badly. Of the 10-15 drives that have died on me in the last 5-6 years, just about every single one started with clicking noises or with the drive spinning down/up at inappropriate times (e.g. any time other than bootup!).

Slackmaster 2000

The drive failed the low-format test.

The error code was get a new drive.

I got an RMA from Maxtor. Looks like the turnaround is pretty reasonable.

I was just fixing to start recording to this drive...........

Back