Channel Strip Technique

kats

I'm sure this has been debated here before...but my searches haven't really answered my question (although I've enjoyed alot of chessrock's posts...made the search fun - warmier...too warm hahaha - must be a fun guy to drink with)

I have one channel strip (LA-610) and while it's a no brainer when tracking single instruments, drums present an issue. Am I making a sonic compromise by tracking the drums direct to PT and then running the tracks through the channel strip onto new PT tracks?

IE should I consider getting a 4 channel pre like an API and do it "au natural". The reason I ask is because I like the idea of getting different channel strips for variety (API, Great River, Chandler etc) but they usually have only one or two pre's. And if I'd be selling myself short on the drums I'd rather put those purchases as a secondary concern.

OTOH if bouncing tracks like this is *almost* as good that's cool too, 'cause in the end almost as good as a pro studio would be a great achievenment in itself. However, I don't want to compromise the sound tat would be noticable to the layman.

Thanks in advance, your opinions are always appreciated!

The detail lost through a lessor pre- can not be recaptured. Compressing, gating, and equalizing post tracking shouldn't pose a problem, most would recommend it

Back