Channel Strip Plugin Recommendations

i like the way the channel on the SSL Duende is set up, with the Hi and Lo shelf, and 2 sweepable mid bands, plus filters and dynamics. maybe you can get Justin to give us something like that for REAPER 2.0. :cool:

Better, yet, Scott Stillwell, Loser, TerryW, and Schwa would be great to hit up, theyre building plugins constantly, some of them quite amazing, and throw in some White Tie graphics on top like his mockups of the plugs

Let them know and one of them will likely build it

Better, yet, Scott Stillwell, Loser, TerryW, and Schwa would be great to hit up, theyre building plugins constantly, some of them quite amazing, and throw in some White Tie graphics on top like his mockups of the plugs

Let them know and one of them will likely build it

are those for JS? i was wondering, and this might be kind of a dumb question, but are the JS plugins capable of the type of character and quality of sound you can achieve with VST? i honestly haven't messed around too much with the JS plugins, but are the EQs/comps all gonna sound the same? or can the developer add their own "color" to them? i know Stillwell's Event Horizon 2 is a pretty sweet mastering limiter though, which i reach for sometimes. and DrumTrigger rocks my world too. i just wonder if all the comps or EQs are just gonna be plain, or if they are really capable of making unique colors.

are those for JS? i was wondering, and this might be kind of a dumb question, but are the JS plugins capable of the type of character and quality of sound you can achieve with VST? i honestly haven't messed around too much with the JS plugins, but are the EQs/comps all gonna sound the same? or can the developer add their own "color" to them? i know Stillwell's Event Horizon 2 is a pretty sweet mastering limiter though, which i reach for sometimes. and DrumTrigger rocks my world too. i just wonder if all the comps or EQs are just gonna be plain, or if they are really capable of making unique colors.

I'm no pro but you should definitely check out the JS stuff. You don't know what you're missing, imo.

As far as a channel strip goes, I'd like to see customizable panels in Reaper. Cubase has this feature and I forget what it's called but it's pretty cool. You can combine controls from different plugins onto a custom panel. I think a lot of guys, including myself, would like to see something like this in Reaper.

I'm curious about the driver issue you stated pipeline. I have 2 cards in my system and have never had a problem with them (knock on wood).

I'm running Win XP on a
AMD X2 sumthing sumthing + Dual core on an Asus mb with 4 GB RAM.

I'm curious about the driver issue you stated pipeline. I have 2 cards in my system and have never had a problem with them (knock on wood).

I'm running Win XP on a

Bring up the windows CPU meter after hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete, you should have two meters (one for each core), I think with the UAD-1 plugs you start using only one core...I could have that wrong??? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm running Win XP on a

It depends how efficiently and with what sorts of look ahead processing your app does with multi-cpu's, for instance you really arent going to have a problem in cubase or nuendo with a UAD-1, and also thats where they do most of there testing, however with those apps routing schemes you do give up a lot of potential tricks.

There are a lot of threads on this, especially at the UAD forum. It seems also to be related to the dreaded UAD-1 "cpu munch" found by non-steinberg users

UA are such clowns that they told us all "an acceptable workaround to the cpu munch is to disable and reenable the card every time you start playback" (bolding mine)

sorry, NOT ACCEPTABLE

allegedly, they know how to fix this problem and chose not to

It depends how efficiently and with what sorts of look ahead processing your app does with multi-cpu's, for instance you really arent going to have a problem in cubase or nuendo with a UAD-1, and also thats where they do most of there testing, however with those apps routing schemes you do give up a lot of potential tricks.

There are a lot of threads on this, especially at the UAD forum. It seems also to be related to the dreaded UAD-1 "cpu munch" found by non-steinberg users

UA are such clowns that they told us all "an acceptable workaround to the cpu munch is to disable and reenable the card every time you start playback" (bolding mine)

sorry, NOT ACCEPTABLE

allegedly, they know how to fix this problem and chose not to

What DAW apps have been know to have issues with the UAD cards and dual processors?

What DAW apps have been know to have issues with the UAD cards and dual processors?

Any that utilize multi-cpu's to render ahead, also any apps that conform strictly to the ASIO spec (not the RME version of the ASIO spec), multicore or not.

Here's a good intro to the problem from recent times http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/viewtopic.php?t=6916&sid=574391e55786cb040570fc4171d4fce9

But searching "cpu munch" with UAD in google will get you a lot of fun

Conspiracy theorists would say UA is doing this in order to preserve the need for their DSP cards by rendering a lot of native CPU useless, but I dont know.

When I got my first UAD card and put its channel strip plug on my snare and tom tracks, it was wow THAT's the sound I've been looking for. That bundled channel strip doesn't get much use now that I've got the Neve 88RS strip, but every UA plug I've bought has had the wow factor. They're not transparent, most of their plugs emulate some piece of vintage gear so they definitely add colour, and colour is what I'm after.

My 2 cards run real well on an Asus mobo & E6600 cpu with Reaper.

If you do decide on a uad card, consider getting the flexi pak which comes with a $500 plug-in voucher, and then just wait for one of UAD's discount specials. A flexi pak costs $700 and you'll get a 15% discount at www.jrrshop.com

damn, how come the URS plugins are so cheap at JRRShop??? is that place for real? they have the URS channel for $159, i think i might just grab it....but then i need a freakin iLok...dammit.

Back