Changing soundcard...in a labtop

Neotrix

My bro told me that there's no way I could change the soundcard for my laptop...so I was wondering if the soundcard really have a big impact on the overall sound. Is there way beside changing the sound card to get a decent sound? Thx in adv

Yes the soundcard does have a big impact on the overall sound, depending on what you get of course, and what you already have.

To be honest, i dont know whether its possible to change the onboard soundcard on your laptop, but if you do want to get a different card, have a look at a USB or Firewire soundcard. If you buy an external soundcard like that, then you just disable your on board card, then youll be sorted.

Good luck!

Yup, you don't physically change the soundcard; you disable it and plug in an external one.

I just popped for a MOTU 828mkII, but you can get Firewire or USB exteranal soundcards for a couple of hundred on up.

TimOBrien said:
Yup, you don't physically change the soundcard; you disable it and plug in an external one.

I just popped for a MOTU 828mkII, but you can get Firewire or USB exteranal soundcards for a couple of hundred on up.
I dont really much about soundcards so you could guys give me some suggestions a soundcards that uses a firewirte or usb exteranal?
Also, which type of stores would they sell these types of souncards?

Firewire is probably your best option as this is faster than USB. Being faster also has the disadvantages of being more in price, so check some out, get a few that your interested and post them back on here if you want so we can recommend some for you.

Good luck!

Sry im back again....

Hey sry if i brought this thread back... :o
Anyway, I came back thinking about the soundcard external you guys mentioned. It seems that my computer doesnt not have a firewall input, so I guess my only option is the USB. I couldnt find any external usb soundcard, but I did manage to find this: M-Audio MobilePre
Im not completly sure if this is a external usb soundcard. Well if it isnt, I think I found a away that I could a get sound anyway. Here's my theory:
Since the MobilePre is a Audiointerface (I assume), I could maybe hook itup with a mini mixer sort of like this one : Behringer Eurorack
So the setup will be like this:
Guitar-->Mini mixer-->MobilePre-->Computer
Will that work good? :confused:

Tifstorey said:
What exactly will you be recording? Maybe that could give us a better idea on what to recommend.
Basically, just a rhythm guitar, a lead guitar, a drum machine, and maybe a bass.

Im currently reading on "The complete idiot's guide to Home Recording"
It shows some kool stuff, but only basics though

Yeah i agree, get a decent book, sit down with it and get to know what everything does. No point in going in and spending loads of cash, learning how it works, then realising you have totally wrong stuff.

Do some research on these threads too, some valuable knowledge in here!

Good luck!

Back