changing running speed

slidey

I have a B77 revox. It runs at 7.5 or 15ips

would it be possible to modify it to run at 15 or 30ips??? what would it entail & would it be worth it??? would I be better looking at another machine. Had my eye on an Otari MX55T but it got taken down from ebay

I've recently started mastering to it & love the results. Was pretty blown away by the difference I heard in the sound between 7.5 & 15 & would love to use it at 30ips

thanks in advance

Hi,

I am no engineer, and I don't know the ins and outs of a B77, but:

As I recall, one of the mechanical changes that happen with moving up from 'sets of speeds' is the capstan diameter. Now, whether brakes and everything else is up to it depends.

Also, heads and rec/repro electronics, to accomodate the differences in signal.

Heads will change freq response with 30; you will get a roll-off in the lows because of limits on the heads and repro electronics. My Studer 807 runs 30 and yes, the bottom drops a bit, but the gain is headroom and air like mad (and sooo little tape hiss.)

You will wear heads twice as fast. I am not going to insult you by mentioning tape cost. If you want 30, you want 30. Get more tape.

For all eternity you will hear from people who say 30 doesn't matter or is not worth it, and from people who say it does and is. I say it does and is.

Maybe someone else here has tried to mod the 77s for that speed.
If all else fails, a Studer 807Mk2 high-speed model will send you to heaven (7.5-15-30.)

Good Luck,
C.

Hi,

I am no engineer, and I don't know the ins and outs of a B77, but:

As I recall, one of the mechanical changes that happen with moving up from 'sets of speeds' is the capstan diameter. Now, whether brakes and everything else is up to it depends.

Also, heads and rec/repro electronics, to accomodate the differences in signal.

Heads will change freq response with 30; you will get a roll-off in the lows because of limits on the heads and repro electronics. My Studer 807 runs 30 and yes, the bottom drops a bit, but the gain is headroom and air like mad (and sooo little tape hiss.)

You will wear heads twice as fast. I am not going to insult you by mentioning tape cost. If you want 30, you want 30. Get more tape.

For all eternity you will hear from people who say 30 doesn't matter or is not worth it, and from people who say it does and is. I say it does and is.

Maybe someone else here has tried to mod the 77s for that speed.
If all else fails, a Studer 807Mk2 high-speed model will send you to heaven (7.5-15-30.)

Good Luck,
C.

thank you very much.......you da man

a drop in bottom end wouldn't overly concern me. Less tape hiss (not that I have much) would be lovely & the headroom I would have to play with sounds tempting

Studer 807mkII huh.....................

Back