Changing Accoustic Guitar Strings

Call-Of-Ktulu

Rockaholic
Hey guys, I have a bit of an embarassing question. I play guitar but not much accoustic and the accoustic I have is actually a classical, so I don't know exactly how to change the strings on a real accoustic with the little balls holding in the strings at the bridge. Do you just pull them out?

Thanks guys

Unwind them from the machine head as usual, then yank out the 'balls', which are in fact little spikes. If you're having trouble getting them out, stick your hand in the soundhole and push them up from underneath.
Once you've done that, take the new strings out of thier packs and unwind them (duh'), then it's pretty self-explanatory, the strings fit in the grooves down the side of the spikes, spikes go back in the guitar, strings go into the machine heads, then you start setting it up to stay in tune.

The "balls" and "spikes" are called bridge pins. ;)

Also, make sure the groove in the stem of the pin is facing the neck when you replace them. The groove is a guide for the string.

Bridge pins! Haha, I knew they had a name but I didn't know it :rolleyes:

But, you know what? I'm a drummer, so I think you should all be fucking impressed that I even know what an acoustic guitar is, never mind how to re-string one :D

Frank Ford's Instrument Owners Manual.

The only thing I'll add is to remember not to push the bridge pins in very hard. They are not there to hold the strings in, but to keep them from moving laterally. The bridgeplate, top, and bridge hold the strings down. If you push in the bridge pins too hard, you can (over time) split the bridge, which then needs to be replaced. Bad deal all around.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

SHEPPARDB. said:
None of what is posted above is going to help you,as classical guitars
dont have bridge pins.

Good point. If the guitar has bridge pins, like Call-Of-Ktulu says it does, it's not a classical.

Back