Chaining

jo blo

How does one go about chaining two digital daws together? Take for an example a Boss BR8 and a Roland 1824. I have access to a used BR8 cheap, and I'm considering using it for the cosm effects and possibly to expand my sys (mixing a lg. drumkit, etc)

I'm not familiar with either of those units, but my post is still better than the others so far :=) The BR8 is an entry level unit, and as such I would be amazed if it offered Word Clock, either in or out. Without that, your tracks between the two units will drift in time, since they will be using different clock generators which are not locked to each other. This would show up as having the song start out ok, then as it plays, the tracks from one unit or the other would start lagging behind.

The only way you might accomplish this is if the BR8 has a digital out of some kind, and that could be fed into the 1824, say into the SPDIF input. Then, if you sync the 1824 to the SPDIF input, the two would be driven by the same word clock. This would take care of slow drift problems between the two units.

Now, to sync the two in START time, so actual measures line up, you would need to lock them together via MIDI cables. Again, the BR8 being the lesser of the two, it probably would need to be the MASTER. You would take the midi out of the BR8, connect it into the midi IN of the 1824, make sure MTC out is enabled in the BR8 if that's an option, and set the 1824 to sync to MTC in, as opposed to "internal" - So, the BR8 would be both the Word Clock Master, and the MTC master - the 1824 would be set to use Word clock sync from EXTERNAL, (unless it has external Word ClocK, in which case you would want to sync to SPDIF), as well as EXTERNAL MTC.

I would recommend downloading the manual for the BR8 from rolandus.com, if it's available, and trying this BEFORE you buy.

The steps I mentioned above are what you would need to do in order to accomplish what you want - whether the two units will actually LET you do this, you'll have to try on your own. Hope this helps, you may have to RTFM a few times to find where to do all this... Steve

Talk about disappointing!

I see this thread called "CHAINING"

Posted by someone named "Jo Blo"

Imagine my surprise and chagrin when it turned out to be about, well, you know, I thought it was going to be about, um...

Oh never mind! Back to the farm animals...!:rolleyes:

hmmm...chaining...animals...there's a concept. Yep, the BR8 does have a digital out...but that's all i know about it so far. I got me a copy of the manual, now to figure this thing out and see if it'll work. What type of equipment are you using in your studio, Knightfly?

Back