CEP Vs Sonar 4 ?

PhilM

Just made my first song with CEP 2.1, after using Cubasis with came with my Tascam 122.

I think CEP is absoulutely wonderful. I realise Cubasis is pretty lame compared to it's bigger cousins.
I found transparency between recording and editing just
fantastic with CEP.

Anyhow Sonar 4 is reasonably priced at my local, and was just wondering how the two compare?

cheers

Hmmm. . . They are two very different tools.

First, CEP is NOT a composer's tool. It is better utilised as recording software and for post-production audio for video. It includes some very powerful features, like the noise removal, clip restoration, convolution and generally the FX are better than those that come bundled with Sonar. Don't forget the powerful codecs that allow you to decode virtually any file! Even if it is not an audio file, it will have a go. I have even used it to decode unkown file types! So don't go thinking you can replace CEP2 with Sonar 4.

Sonar4 is based on Cakewalk's older versions: Cakewalk 8 and Cakewalk. Originally, this software was a MIDI sequencer, and it was used to control external MIDI devices (sound modules, sound cards, etc).

Later versions: Cakewalk 9 and Sonar 2 XL (2000-2002) incorperated Audio tracks and tools, making it an all-round music creation package.

Sonar4 (2005) has incorperated DXi software synthesiser's that are as easy to use as any FX plugin. So instead of having to use an external sound module (or sound card) to play the MIDI signals, you can insert one of the DXi soft-synths and your computer will generate the sounds on the fly. Furthermore, you can buy additional DXi instruments and adjust the parameters for each project and each track. Say you want more attack on the kick and more sustain on the snare. One more thing to top it off - the parameters are automatable just like fade and pan on audio tracks.

Sonar 4 producer edition enables you to mix 5.1 surround sessions, and AVI support for adding post production sound to video. Also, a VST wrapper is included so you can use VST plugins.

Now the downside: The basic package is quite basic. The FX suite is basic (suggest upgrading to the Sonitus suite), and the DXi instruments are quite basic too, although I have heard some good sounds from the Cakewalk TT-5. Don't get me wrong, DXi is fantastic! Bye-bye to the old fashioned sound modules, its all done internally and YOU have control over the sounds.

In summary, Cakewalk is still the MIDI tool in your studio, and very powerful indeed. Be prepared to have to import your session to CEP to mix it, or at very least, master in CEP2. (The MP3pro codec is pure gold).

If you are more into recording without using MIDI, you won't get much benefit from Sonar 4 -- as long as you are recording OK with CEP and not getting latency issues. I know Sonar 4 supports ASIO drivers (0 Latency), not sure about CEP2, and you would need to know if your interface is ASIO compatible too.

Otherwise it's the standard WDM driver and both CEP2 and Sonar4 are the same then.

Oi someone else . . . Does CEP2 support ASIO??

Does CEP2 support ASIO??

No. Even Adobe Audition 1.5 does not support ASIO. This is probably the most-requested feature at the Audition forum website, and there is a lot of speculation that the next release will include ASIO. I wouldn't mind at all...I'm using a Terratec sound card with fiberoptic cables, but I'm stuck with using outdated drivers with it.

Back