CEP and external FX?

lilcapn

hi --

i was thinking of buying Cool Edit Pro (adobe audition i guess it is now) as i borrowed a friend's laptop and messed around with an older version, and felt like i could get a handle on it (i'm kind of a software recording novice, normally i use reel to reel or a 1680).

one thing i want to know is, with my Presonus Firestation as an interface, is it easy to use external effects with Cool Edit?

i have lots of outboard gear (compressors, tape echo, etc) i love and don't want to work without it, but would like to be able to record and mix with my laptop as well...

any advice here would be great!!

thanks!

It'd be as easy to apply external effects in CEP as any other computer multitracker- it'll all depend on your interface. Though I'm not familiar with your particular card (I've actually never heard of it), if the ins/outs and internal routing are availible, it should be a cinch!

-Chris

the firestation

thanks for the info!

the Presonus dealie is a firewire (hence the name) external soundcard, with 8 ins / 8 outs, bells and whistles, etc.

glad to hear it can be done -- i was thinking that i always hear people complaining about "latency" problems, and i was wondering if that was related to sending a signal out to a processor, fx box, etc and routing it back to the computer or something.

maybe i'll take the plunge with CEP,

thanks!

Latency can definitely be an issue...but that's not exclusive to CEP. Sometimes you can compensate for it, and sometimes you really can't, depending on the effect and the amount of latency.

Honestly, the only outboard gear I'm using at this point is a little Lexicon unit, and when I use it, I track live with it...which is certainly not ideal.

Wish I could be more helpful.

CEP and Firestation

The only issue I've had with CEP2.0 and my presonus firestation is that the software doesn't support ASIO drivers, and I've been unable to use more than 2 tracks with the WMD drivers. You may be able to do it, but I got frustrated enough that I stated using Cubase. Presonus says that they must wait for Yamaha to update the drivers, blah, blah, blah...

cripes

well thanks for the warning, that's good to know.

i'm kinda clueless about ASIO vs other kinds of drivers, and what they allow you to do....i kinda have my head around the mLan "patchbay" thingy, but i don't know how it relates to the drivers... eg what are WMD and how are they different from ASIO?

thanks again!

from the presonus site

"Currently the FIREstation supports multi-channel recording/playback utilizing ASIO drivers. If your recording software does not recognize the FIREstation either the driver hasn't been loaded properly or the recording software requires the user to run a separate setup/profiling application.

WDM drivers are currently provided for stereo use ONLY. The computer will solely recognize Inputs/Outputs one and two."

so ILaudiophile...did you mean to say the opposite (that it only supports ASIO, not WMD) or have they updated things with the firestation?

if anyone knows whether the above statement means that i'm good to go with Cool Edit, or screwed, please let me know! i'm itching to get working with it....

thanks!!

CEP only supports WDM drivers.

The Firestation only supports WDM drivers for 2 tracks.

So, you'll be limited to 2 tracks (of input/output, not playback) if you use CEP and the firestation.

So, CEP doesn't sound like its a wise purchase, until CEP nabs some ASIO drivers, or Presonus updates the WDM drivers.

-Chris

wow

that's too bad!

but i'm glad i found out here first before i bought it...

guess i'm still on the hunt for the right recording software....

thanks again!

wow

What I am saying is that CEP uses WDM drivers, and the Firestation will only allow 2 tracks with WDM. 8 Tracks can be recorded with the ASIO drivers, but CEP will not recognise them. To record more than two simultanious tracks with the Firestation, you have to use ASIO compliant software, such as Cubase.

Re: wow

ILaudiophile said:
What I am saying is that CEP uses WDM drivers, and the Firestation will only allow 2 tracks with WDM. 8 Tracks can be recorded with the ASIO drivers, but CEP will not recognise them. To record more than two simultanious tracks with the Firestation, you have to use ASIO compliant software, such as Cubase.

Me too...

Back