CEP 2.1 wav save/convert to mp3?

jackstpaulUHS

Have CEP 2.1 on winme pc system: System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(r) Celeron(tm) processor GenuineIntel ~600 Mhz. I use directX plugins (I think version 9--not sure if I have 10 or can even use it on my system). Never used VST.

Used CEP for years, but working with mp3 for first time.

I converted--stand-alone converter--an mp3 to wav, then edited that wav (noise/hiss clean-up). Now I want to convert back to mp3 (my referred to stand alone converter is 1-way). Save-as to mp3 isn't an option in my CEP version, and I don't have a plug-in.

I understand the quality reduction issues from converting the original source down to MP3. Not sure what quality loss might have resulted from converting that mp3 (downloaded it from another person) to wav, or any loss converting from wav to mp3. Right now at a test phase to upload the cleaned version to other party.

But: How to do it?

What are the best options for converting my wav to MP3 at highest possible quality (given whatever quality has been lost already)?

I've searched here and net and am confused.

Plug-ins? Stand-alone? I don't understand the MP3 variables--not clear, as I say, but I hear about LAME (whatever that is), etc. Are there varied MP3 formats about what can be read by what player--it seems I've red about his issue re: LAME

Basic info and then suggestions for how to convert greatly appreciated.

You need to start with the non-converted .wav file and do the noise reduction on it before you convert to mp3. Every conversion entails data loss.

It's hard to tell from your message whether you have the original .wav. Oh well...there are many stand alone mp3 converters available. Try tucows:
http://www.tucows.com/search.html?s...earch_terms=mp3+convert&srch_pf=win&x=15&y=10
for free software. That's what I used when I had CEP 2.0. Once the file is converted, it can be uploaded or emailed as an attachment.

unfortunately

Thanks.

Yes, I'm aware that working on the original wav is best, but I don't have it, nor does the person I'm doing this for. The mp3 he has is extremely noisy.

Using SonicFoundry and CEP hiss reduction, I got great results. I've done a lot of this on cassette and 4-track (not sure of original source of this mp3, but it's one of the two) material.

The question on conversion is that while I know about the major loss of quality in converting down to mp3, it seems like going from mp3 to wav wouldn't have significant loss because of the higher quality wav format--which won't improve the sound, but I'd expect that it wouldn't create more (or much) new loss.

Likewise, since the .wav I'm using comes via my conversion from an mp3 originating file, and the processing I did shouldn't have really changed the frequency profile, that there is little to be lost--further--by going from wav to mp3. Just curious about that general question, but it won't affect what I'm doing with this project. However, I will be doing a lot more of this sort of thing for this person; he as many songs in mp3 that are hoorendously noisy. So I’m wondering if what I’ve done is the best that can be done given the limitations of starting from an mp3 and needing to convert back.

The quality of the conversion program and LAME, etc. format differences is still an open question for me.

If anyone has further info, I’d appreciate hearing it.

Back