CEP 1.1 Upgrade?

cramer21

I have CEP1.1, and with Adobe purchasing CEP. are there any real advantages to the upgrade? Is 2.x that much better...or Audition?
Thanks!

It's a very different program, with a lot of capabilities not in CEP 1.1 (that must be pretty old...I bought 1.2 in July 2000). Adobe Audition is the equivalent of 2.1. Lots more tracks, more effects (called "transforms" in the early versions), better reverbs etc. I still have my 1.2 disk but I can't imagine going back to it. Dobro likes it for the lack of latency but I have the latency adjusted in AA where it isn't a problem.

thnaks

So when you say Latency problem, are you referring to Time Sync issues?
I seem to get out of sync, and/or out of time...and i am trying to figure out if it is ME, or the software/hardware.
Years ago I had a 4-track..analog tape. I never seemd to have those issues..and i would think I am abetter musician now than 5-10 years ago.

Here is my system

CEP 1.1
P4 1.5, 512 RAM, 2 hard drives, 1 dedicated to CEP except the Temp files where CEP wants to put them on a different drive(HD's on seperate IDE inputs)
Soundblaster 24 bit USB Audigy2 NX,
I run the guitars, bass, and vocals thru a mic'ed Amp to the sound card.
Drums from a keyboard/synth directly to sound card....hmmmm
As I wrote this, I wonder if that is my problem...everything but the drums go thru an amp, to the soundcard...and I am having keeping in time with the drums....could that be my problem?

Latency refers to the phenomenon that occurs when you record a track, then try to record a second track and it is out of synch with the first one by a fixed amount. This "latency" is the time required by the computer to crunch all the information to get it recorded. CEP 2.1 has a latency adjustment, which allows you to delay the playback by the amount of the latency. I don't know if the earlier versions had this or not, since I don't remember ever needing it. Anyhow, you record something with a sharp attack (a rimshot is great for this) on Track One, then play it back and record it again on Track Two. Go to the Edit View and adjust the cursor right at the beginning of the waveform on Track One and make a note of the time displayed in the window below. Do the same with Track Two and the difference in time (hopefully milliseconds) between the beginning of each waveform is the latency. Then go to Options/Device Properties/Wave In tab and there is a window in the lower left side of the dialog that says "Multitrack Latency **** Milliseconds". Enter the results of your earlier arithmetic in the box, and youve got it. FYI, a millisecond is .001 seconds.

Near as I can tell, my latency problems with 2.1 are due to my soundcard - I've got an old card, and other people just don't seem to suffer from the latency problem. I've tried different settings in 2.1 to deal with it, but I haven't had any success. So I do all my tracking with 1.2 and all my mixing with 2.1.

I'm thinking that when I get a new soundcard, 2.1 will be good for everything.

Thank You MR Deluxe!
I probably should have utilized this site more before i started recording. and now that I know it is here, I will be going over many threads as I am sure a lot of the questions that I will have, have already been answered here......many times!
As far as effects are concerned, I really like to keep them to a minimum. the only ones i have utilized so far are the filtering, and EQ ones. many of the other effects, sound , well, like effects, and I prefer the more "Natural" sound.

But again, the info you gave me here answered many questions, and I will go back and edit accordingly. Thanks!

Mr. Deluxe,
i had some time to play with CEP yesterday, and was disappointed to discover that my 1.1 version of CEP does not have the "Options/Device Properties/Wave In tab and there is a window in the lower left side of the dialog that says "Multitrack Latency **** Milliseconds". Option.

I realy need to upgrade i guess, but i am having trouble being able to upgrade from 1.1 Adobe charges $170 to upgrade to Audition form 1.x versions.

is is worth it? If I have to spend close to $200 for software, is Audition the choice? Or do you , or anyone know a way i can get ver. 2.x?
Or, is there another program out there you would recomend.
I have tried Cakewalk, and there are just too many damn bells and whistles, I like CEP as it is very user friendly, almost like using my old analog 4 track (with a lot of editing features of course).
Thanks!

In My Opinion: [charge: a virtual $.02] if you are comfortable with Cool Edit Pro go for the upgrade. I got my first computer 4 years ago and I installed a sound card that had a lite version of CEP bundled with it. Being your basic aged Luddite, it gave me fits at first, but pretty soon I upgraded to CEP 1.2. From my perspective all the software out there was equally intimidating and I figured I would go with one that was working well for me and learn it rather than making myself crazy trying to constantly change from one to another. I have been through 1.2a, 2.0, 2.1 and now Adobe Audition and every day it gets easier to use. There is a large population of people who think you HAVE to have Pro Tools (just like I know people here who think you HAVE to have H&R Block do your tax returns) but I am old and ornery and, knowing I'll never be "kewl" in this lifetime again I prefer to go with results. I have never approached the track limit with CEP (Abode Audition). Just when I think I have hit a wall it turns out to be a deficiency in my knowledge, not a problem with CEP. I have recorded electric rock, acoustic folk and a capella choirs and everything sounds great.

It's a robust, stable program. If you want to be kewl, don't buy it. If you want results for a bargain price, this is the place to go.

Don't confuse the tool box with the mechanic. A good mechanic will have good tools, but so will many bad ones. I see a great many posts here about "what is the magic mic, or software, or EQ settiings, or whatever"; the magic ain't in the gear. It's in your head. A good friend who owns a studio has a motto: There's NO talent knob on the mixer! Good gear will translate your ideas into reality. Great gear does exactly the same thing...but you have to have the ideas!

Don't confuse the tool box with the mechanic. A good mechanic will have good tools, but so will many bad ones. I see a great many posts here about "what is the magic mic, or software, or EQ settiings, or whatever"; the magic ain't in the gear. It's in your head. A good friend who owns a studio has a motto: There's NO talent knob on the mixer! Good gear will translate your ideas into reality. Great gear does exactly the same thing...but you have to have the ideas!

Words to create great recorded music by. :cool:

Back