Centro-matic?

Van Greco

is not even really here
Hello all.

I have been listening to a band called Centro-matic quite alot lately and I really have come to love some of the guitar sounds. I was wondering if any of you who might be familiar with the band had any ideas as to how to approximate the sound? I have been experimenting, but no luck as of yet. I still have more amps to try though. I'm thinking that it might be in the layering. Anyway, I thought it wouldnt hurt to throw it out there in case someone here had any insight.

Many many years ago Matt Penske (sp?) recorded a demo for a band i was in. I seem to remember Matt being a big fan of recording guitars through little practice amps. I dont know which amps specifically, but I think he would have will play through his normal rig (used to be a Sovtek i think) and then double the track through a practice amp.
Of course, there is the fact that Matt is a recording genius, and has some really nice gear. Im sure that helps too.

Matt Pence is the drummer for Centro-matic and he engineers at The Echo Lab in Dallas. Here's their amp list:

Marshall Super Bass 100W head with master volume mod
Marshall 4x12 straight cabinet
BadCat TremCat head w/ 15" cabinet
Fender Bassman head (1964)
Fender Bassman w/ 2 x 12" cabinet (1966) (depending on availability)
Fender Pro Junior
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Princeton
Fender Twin (early 1970's)
Silvertone Twin Twelve head
Kay Model 704 solid-state combo
Traynor Bass-master head
Custom-built 15" bass cabinet w/ EV ProLine speaker (based on Dietz T/S design)

Wow, thanks guys. I have two of the amps on that list so I'll start there I guess. Glad to see some others who at least are familiar with the band. I dont know too many down here in South Florida. I really love the sound of their records. Almost broken sounding, but beautiful at the same time.

Thanks again for the help guys. I'll probably not be able to come anywhere near the vibe of these records, but I'm having a blast trying.

Back